Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Catalytic Converter. Help!

S

secondchance

My 94 ZR-1 has been suffering from what started out as pinging between 2000 to 2900 rpm with moderate throttle when fully warmed(closed loop op). Then recently, I am also getting hesitation in 4 th and 5th gear (have'ny tried in 6th) when I try to accelerate including WOT. I am begining to suspect cat clogging up possibly on the driverside (scanner reading fluctuating value on scanner on this side). Any sugestions to check catalytic converter will be appreciated.
I have already replced O2 sensor and knock sensor.

Reading the symptoms, I'd say there only a remote chance you've had a cat failure.

First, I'd change the fuel filter if you've gone more than 15000 miles since you last did that. Then, I'd run the fuel pressure tests listed in the service manuaal.

I'd also check plugs and plug wires.

I am begining to suspect cat clogging up possibly on the driverside (scanner reading fluctuating value on scanner on this side)
The O2S values are supposed to fluctuate a bit. If they don't, there's something wrong.

Thanks for the response. I'll start w/ filter change. Its gonna be tough. Its tucked away adjacent to bullit converter and hardly no room to move the wrench.

Out of curiosity, have you taken the car to Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly to have their ZR-1 mechanic check it out?

Not yet. This is one of those things that keeps me awake at night because I keep thinking that the fix is within reach. Also, having to deal with a kid in college and a questioning wife may have something to do with looking for a cheap fix.

I hear ya. It might be worth your while to give Pohanka a call, speak to one of their service reps and find out how much it would cost roughly to have the car diagnosed without conducting any repairs. They might be willing to do this.

I would just hate to see you try and fix something that isn't the problem. At least if you knew exactly what the problem was, you could better choose whether to fix the problem yourself, or pay someone to do it.

do yourself a favor and contact Joe Malo at Pohanka.

Joe is a sharp LT5 tech and great to work with.

tell em Ron sent ya. I have 3 ZR1s and Joe is who I turn to for anything I'm too lazeee to do myself.

he gives me such a great price it's hard for me to justify doing the work myself and I save alot of broken knuckels and swearing around the kids.

Joe is top notch.

I have the EASE software that we can trace the car ECM report to analyze it to see if anything looks strange, maybe a bad tank of gas (just had a crap tank of mobil!!), fuel pressure, bad injectors (likely) or other maladies can cause this. the cats at least do unbolt ont he 93/5 but I doubt they are bad. contact me if you need a hand.

Thaks for the offer. Actually, I would be very interested in hooking up "EASE" and see what shows up first. How does your weekend look?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom