Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caution lots of pics..today was a good day....C1 with Myers and Tremec!!!

henny496 said:
Hello Herb
Using the 60% value on the shock you should be about 13.75 in center to center of shock eyes at ride ht ( 11.5 compressed plus 2.25 in)
Your sprngs are 10.125 extended with 8 spaces @ .8125 which gives a total of 6.5 inches. If your spring was bottomed out that would be 10.125 - 6.5 = 3.62 inches. Using 60% of 6.5 inches that is 3.9 inches
3.9 plus 3.62 = 7.52 inches @ ride ht
10.125 - 7.52 is 2.605 inches
The shock extended is 15.25 and at ride ht is 13.75 in which is a difference of 1.5 in
Is there a rubber bumper at the bottom of your shock travel? That would be a cushion block on the rod
I know Koni's have a bumper block of at least an inch. If you do have a bump block, that would have to be factored in . The bump block helps the shock on bottoming out . 3.75 inches does not sound like a lot of travel
take care
Tom
also make sure you did not count 1/2 a coil in your dimensioning( end of spring)
if you came to the same conclusion that I did with a tube lenght of 7.5 inches...now that is truly amazing....I used your alternate method...at any rate...the numbers may not be perfect, but are certainly in the ball park....if I get in the ball park, I can always find my seat...HAHA

by the way...I went out and bought 10 feet of PVC pipe (3" dia)....but then when I got home I thought...heck, I should look in the basement and see what is there.....found a 3" carboard mailing tube that had fairly thick walls, cut it to length with my electric miter saw and put it in the shocks....works pretty good...the PVC pipe is going back to the hardware store so I can get my $8.50 back!!!! haha

henny496 said:
Hello Herb
I am sorry if my post sounded concerned. I just wanted you to verify the coil measurements and look fo rthe bumper block, that's all
You have an adjustable shock for ride ht anyway,. You should shoot for the 60% rule, but you won't have a perfect spring for every application
If this is a kit from a manufacturer who sells these, I would not get too worried
Tom
not concerned....just informative...the instructions say to set everything up with the weight of the car on the springs.....but I am a long ways from having that happen....so...this worked out great....I can get the panhard bracket in place...check out a few more things and then pull everything part for final weld and then prep for paint and then powder coating.....

Myers makes the "kit" and when I mentioned to Greg the other day that I thought the panhard heim end didn't have enough engagement length, he commented "hmmmm...that is a new one, never had anyone tell me that before"...well....silly Herb, get everything where it is supposed to be and you have more than enough engagement....I am really set to go......I don't know how many of these they have sold, but I am going to guess at least 50 and maybe more like 100 or more....so I am not cutting new ground.....

full speed ahead!!!!!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom