Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CB radios?

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Anybody still use CB radios other than truckers (assuming they still do)?

I found a Cobra 40-channel walkie-talkie in my closet recently that appears to still work except that I can't hear anyone to talk to.

I'm a Ham operator and shortwave listener which means I notice antennas.. I don't see as many antennas on interstate rigs as compared to the past when almost truck had one. Perhaps the cell phone's ability to "phone home" so easily has replaced CBs??

Stud Muffin, do you have your ears on?

Smart phones surely ruined the CB industry.

When I was at Bowling Green last week, I thought I heard a few transmissions on channel 19. I tried to break in but did not get an answer from any of them. Thought they were truckers on I-65 but maybe not.

I guess I have one more piece of history to donate to a museum at some point in the future.

Anybody still use CB radios other than truckers (assuming they still do)?

I found a Cobra 40-channel walkie-talkie in my closet recently that appears to still work except that I can't hear anyone to talk to.

Got one pretty similar to what you're describing; haven't turned it on in years... I only have the thing because my Dad insisted I have it for traveling long distances in the days before cell phones...

I can try turning mine on here in Texas and see if I can hear you talking from Oklahoma... :blah

Or maybe we can get a Corvette Convoy going...? :Steer

Or maybe we can get a Corvette Convoy going...? :Steer

We could try that - no wait, I already did. I bought the CB radio for the 2009 Caravan but I didn't buy the headphones for it. My wife and I found out that a 2-way radio without headphones was pretty much useless in a Corvette convertible. We were always asks people to "come back!"

Probably why it was put in the box after the 2009 Caravan and forgotten about until now. ;)

the more veteran truckers still have them and use them.
the newer drivers don't.I have one in my pickup as well that I use on occasion.

so we'll pit the good numbers to you,keep the shiny side up,good buddy!!!

I wrench at a trucking co so we still use em so ruffly 75 radios.We have them in our two front end loaders also. We have a security gate so we gota call dispatch to open the gate.We monitor chanel 2 for outside drivers coming in,if thay dont have a CB thay gota go use the phone at the main entrance to get past the gate.We go thru a lot of antenas ,drivers are always rippen them off the mirrors.

I still carry and use mine when I head out west. Too many areas in North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and New Mexico without cell phone coverage. Seems lots of ranchers/farmers still use them.

Regarding cb's, most of the 'new' drivers either don't have them or don't have them turned on. They are basically steering wheel holders and we don't refer to them as 'truckers'. Cops don't even monitor channel 9 anymore like they used to up til the late 80's early 90's.

Us hopper bottoms and bullhaulers still run/use cb's, but the industry has really changed over the last 10-15 years, and not for the better. There's no camaraderie anymore between drivers, its every man for himself, pretty sad compared to when I grew up in trucking and started driving myself.

As far as your handheld, is it a regular 40 channel CB radio, or is it using walkie talkie frequencies? Those are incompatible.

I have a 40 channel cb in the Suburban along with a 2 meter/70cm ham radio (I have my ham ticket as well, K0ACS), but we use the Midland walkie talkies during Corvette caravans, tours, and club events. Good times!!

As far as your handheld, is it a regular 40 channel CB radio, or is it using walkie talkie frequencies? Those are incompatible.

It's a regular 40 channel CB radio. I have a set of FRS walkie-talkie radios that don't get any use either. I'll let the grand kids figure out what to do with them. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom