Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ceiling Remodel to make a lift fit

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I am thinking about a lift, both to work on my Corvette and to store it above my daily driver. The problem is the celing in my garage is not high enough to accomate the lift. I will have to raise the ceiling approximatly 2 feet into the attick above the garage, what I would like to know is has anyone had this done, or know about what it would cost to do some thing like this?

I have a 4 post lift in my garage and had to remove the ceiling also.show a picture of your garage.I had attic above the garage.I removed the shet rock,I removed the ceiling joist,I then had to raise the collar ties up to the 12'level

the collar ties hold the building together so you cant remove them alltogether.

I did mine myself so I dont know what someone would charge you for it.I also had to install a new garage doo and its track to get the garage door to ride up along the new ceiling hieght.

Good Luck

A good friend of ours, who bought one of our cars, raised is ceiling to store that car on a lift and park another Vette underneath. He had a carpenter cut the ceiling josts, frame the opening and install the sheetrock. I don't know what it cost but the prices contractors might charge in your area might be different and getting two or three quotes would give you a better idea. It worked out great though and sure beats the cost of adding another garage stall.

Rich Lagasse

That is exactly what I have to go, remove the sheetrock, cut out the joist then reframe the joist about 2 foot higher and resheet rock. I will have to extend the garage door opener tracks to make the door high enough. I don't think I want to do this myself, in my younger days I might have but now adays its smarter to pay someone. I guess I will have to get some estimates, I was just hoping to have a "wag" wild ass guess before I started talking to contractors. Thanks again.

You know the only bad side of a lift is that you have to stair at the bottom of your car every time you pull a car under it.

I thought the bottom of my 66 looked great untill I put it up on a lift and had to stare at the bottom of it.I am now in the slow process of detailing the entire bottom of the car to "Factory Correct"

Thanks, I will take some pic of the inside and outside this weekend and post them to see if anyone can give suggestions, Thanks Jon the more I know aobut how to do this the better I can tell if the price is right when I find someone to do the work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom