Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chambered undercar exhaust

• Thread starter Thread starter Quacker
  • Start date Start date
Q

Quacker

Well gang it's exhaust time and I'm looking into the Mid America chambered system. Of course it does not show a system for a 81 with auto trans.

The car has orig exhaust manifolds that the air holes were welded (looks good) and a homemade true duel exhaust that looks real bad.

I don't have to worry about vehicle inspections. I want to replace everything from the stock manifold back and my guess is the 603-854 system is the one to get. I do not have the trans cross brace with the holes in it, and what I need to know is if everything will fit right using the 1968 to 1973 system and not hang too low.

I don't have to worry about vehicle inspections.

Thanks for any info.

Chambered

I am having a mid america chambered exhaust installed this coming Tuesday. Mine was purchased used, so I don't know what it is, and I forget what year shark it came off of.

Anyhow, my 78 does have the two exhaust holes and an auto tranny. I think my guy may have to make some bends or adjustments, but I'm sure it'll get done.

If you are planning on hanging it under that tranny cross piece, I think you may find it hangs extremely low. I think mine (even going thru the cross piece holes) may hang lower than my previous system just due to the size of the pipes.

Perhaps a member with a similar experience will chime in and let you know what they encountered. I can let you know how mine went after Wednesday.
Heidi

Thanks for the info Heide, I'll keep my eye open for your post.

I have read on the forum about you wanting the chambered system and I hope it works for you.

I'm pretty sure...

...that it is what I want.
71Shark and I got together on the phone a few weekends ago and via his cell phone, I was able to hear his exhaust while he was driving and talking...so I think I'll be happy with it.
It appears to have the rumbley-growl I am looking for and a deep throated roar at WOT.
I am just so impatient, I am practically having to sit on myself to keep from asking my mechanic if he is sure he can't do it sooner?!
Heidi

I thought I heard my name:D.

Well Quacker, not having the holes in the cross-member could present a clearance problem unless you get a custom bend on the pipes that run from the manifolds to the chambers. Otherwise, the chambers are going to be joined with the pipe below the crossmember and the chambered section is 4 or 5 inches high. Even if you get the front pipe bent, you will end up having to push the entire system back a few inches in order for the pipe to come up around the cross-member and stick into the chambered section. The chambered section and front pipe should normally join just in front of the cross-member holes on cars with the holes.

You'd almost be better off finding a cross-member in a bone-yard with the holes, assuming it would mount without incident.

Good luck!

looks like I'll use what Mid America calls there True Dual Exhaust I' ll check out this system some more.

Thanks gang

Quacker,

After i pass emmisions next week (for the last time) out with the old system, in with the new! I'm waiting on Heidi to get her chambered system installed before i make my decision - loud, really loud or too loud; that's what i want to know.

I just crawled under the car and i have the 2 hole cross member, so MA's system should bolt up nicely to the existing ram horns.
It might be less of a headache for you to go to a shop to custom fit what you need. It would be a bummer to rip a hole through your new system!

Let us know what you decide.
Shawn

I'm pretty sure Allen's Stainless Exhaust makes the chambered exhust system for Mid America. I have an 81 and wanted to install a chambered exhust. I emailed Mike Allen the owner and asked him about. This was his answer "YOU CANT PUT ANY 74 STYLE DUALS ON AN 81 THE FLOOR PAN ON THE LEFT IS TO
LOW EVEN IF YOU CHANGE THE CROSSMEMBER CALL ME AND I WILL EXPLAIN 574 722 7272
MIKE ALLEN"

I haven't called him yet, but I'm sure it's a no go, this is their web site: www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com. I'm still waiting to hear from Stainlessworks, who also makes chambered exhaust systems here is their site www.stainlessworks.net for a pic look under the "new Products" on the left side and 10 lines down under GM click on "Stainlessworks introduces 1963-1982 Corvette chambered exhaust" I'm hoping this will work.

Doug

Stainlessworks is not far from me, I have been there before but at that time they did not have anything for a 81. Now I see they have it.
I'll stop by there and see what's new.

Quacker,

Let me know what stainless says. I called Allen's and he explained that true duals for the 80-82 have to be routed on the right (Passenger side) they make a system for this, but it's just the pipes and not chambered. They are listed in Mid America as part number 603-860 (SS) or 603-862 (alum). I may get these and do what Evo did and put on cherry bombs.

Doug

Doug
I will go there this week and let you know what they say

Thanks Quacker,

Hope it's do-able 'cause i would really like to put in chambered exhaust.

Ok here goes, today I spent 3 hours at Stainless Works. They have built a brand new building next to the old one and the place was as clean as a whistle. Everyone was friendly and helpful when I asked something.

Here is the bottom line. There chambered system will NOT fit a 81 unless you change to the cross member with the holes, it's just like the M/A style. They do not stock anything there and it takes 4 weeks to fab it and ship it out. They make it in stainless or aluminized.

I told them that they could use my car as a mule for a new system and I got a lot of smiles and nice try's but that was it.

So I'll keep on looking and see what I can come up with.

Quacker,

Thanks for taking the time to visit them. Did they say anything about the left sidefloor pan being too low? Keep us informed as to what you find out. I'll let you know if I find anything too.

Doug

Doug
He did not say anything about the floor pan, I did not know to ask but I went out and looked at it and it is lower then the cross member.

I think this is going to be a nightmare, so far the Mid America 603-862 pipes with 603-572 mufflers will work the best I just don't know what it will sound like. I sure someone has this on there car and will chime in with some info.

Heidi.....It's Wed. did you get it installed???? I think I'm going to eat my heart out.

Eat your heart out, Baby!

I LOVE THEM!

Fired up the 78 and she had that nice low rumble right off the bat! Accelerate, and she growls nicely! At WOT she screams! She seems to like 3300 rpms on the hwy now...I better watch out! Just cruising around she is very reasonable. Not too loud at all, and JUST what I wanted.

I'm afraid I had perma-grin! I mean EAR-TO-EAR! I drove across town to fill up the tank, and my grin was so wide I thought my face would crack. About every 1/4 mile or so I'd giggle out loud...I think I was...dare I say it? Giddy!

I had 3 men in a truck craning their necks when I fired up and drove past at the gas station. :D I waved and they all waved back. ;)

I'd like to have Kenny drive her past me a few times so I can hear what she sounds like outside the driver seat.

We do have a vibration rattle inside from some piece in the back and we will be finding and fixing that this weekend.
If you can find a way to get chambered, and I hope you can, you WILL love it!
Heidi

Re: Eat your heart out, Baby!

78SilvAnniv said:
I LOVE THEM!

Fired up the 78 and she had that nice low rumble right off the bat! Accelerate, and she growls nicely! At WOT she screams! She seems to like 3300 rpms on the hwy now...I better watch out! Just cruising around she is very reasonable. Not too loud at all, and JUST what I wanted....
I had 3 men in a truck craning their necks when I fired up and drove past at the gas station. :D I waved and they all waved back. ;) ...

Heidi

Yeeehaaaa!:upthumbs :_rock :D

I knew you'd love 'em!

- Eric:w

I LOVE THEM!

Heidi,
YOU just made my day!!!:) :D

I think Chambered exhaust will be the next investment. That is, if i can pass emissions :mad. I've spent the last two days trying to dial it in and still no luck (she's failed twice). Tomorrow she goes to the mechanic, maybe he can tweek it just enough to pass. As soon as it passes, off goes the old exhaust!!! No more emissions testing for me, i'll then be exempt. :)

Happier days soon ahead!
Shawn

Nope.

But I might consider it in the future.
Do be sure to get whichever one is for your vehicle (manual/auto). The set I purchased was from a manual and went onto my auto with a few strategic 'bends'.
H

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom