Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Change from Mech Oil Pressure Gauge to Electric

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
I'm in the process of putting the 71 back together and was wondering if I could change the mechanical oil pressure gauge to an electric gauge from a later C3. Will the gauge from a later C3 fit in the center console? What wiring would I have to do for the electric gauge? I'm assuming a sending unit, late model gauge, and power from somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

you should be able to do it. You will need a 12V feed to the gage and most likely a ground and then a wire to the sending unit. The gages can be replaced I replaced the Ampmeter with a Voltmeter in my 76.

bossvette said:
you should be able to do it. You will need a 12V feed to the gage and most likely a ground and then a wire to the sending unit. The gages can be replaced I replaced the Ampmeter with a Voltmeter in my 76.

Anyone know if an aftermarket 2 1/16 guage will fit? I priced replacement guages from a later model and the sending unit is almost as expensive as the entire kit with guage for the aftermarket units.

I used an aftermarket voltmeter in mine its been so long I don't remember how hard it was but it is possible.

One thing to remember is that the mechanical oil pressure gauge is very reliable. You seldom hear of their failure.

Gary

electric oil pressure swap

I've done this swap but it was many years ago. I just ran a wire from the sender to the backside of the gauge, supplied 12v and a ground. I think my gauge was from a 75 or 76 vette, bought the sender for same car and a 45 degree elbow to get it to clear some stuff and screwed it in there. Again, its been a while but I think I sent it to a resto shop and had it painted to stock '73 look, I may have swapped out the face but I don't think I did that. Never had any trouble out of it at all. I also was trying the mechanical to quartz clock swap at the same time. I definitely DO NOT recommend that swap. At least not from D&M restoration. All I accomplished with that was I lost my original mechanical clock and it cost me 60 bucks. My clock never has worked right or kept correct time. It sometimes actually runs backwards. I exchanged it with D&M once b4 my warranty period ran out but the next one also had the same prob's. Runs backards as much as forwards. It's really humorous to watch it. It acts schizophrenic, switches back and forth between forward and reverse erratically. At least its good for a few laughs.

Back to the oil gauge...
I could never get mine to quit leaking at the motor or under the dash. If you have a nice stereo in there then your risking oiling it with a gauge leak. My old gauge oiled my CD player once or twice. Just got tired of it. This is definitely an easy upgrade and a worthwhile one IMHO.

Why do you want to do it?

good luck

lone73 said:
I've done this swap but it was many years ago. I just ran a wire from the sender to the backside of the gauge, supplied 12v and a ground. I think my gauge was from a 75 or 76 vette, bought the sender for same car and a 45 degree elbow to get it to clear some stuff and screwed it in there. Again, its been a while but I think I sent it to a resto shop and had it painted to stock '73 look, I may have swapped out the face but I don't think I did that. Never had any trouble out of it at all. I also was trying the mechanical to quartz clock swap at the same time. I definitely DO NOT recommend that swap. At least not from D&M restoration. All I accomplished with that was I lost my original mechanical clock and it cost me 60 bucks. My clock never has worked right or kept correct time. It sometimes actually runs backwards. I exchanged it with D&M once b4 my warranty period ran out but the next one also had the same prob's. Runs backards as much as forwards. It's really humorous to watch it. It acts schizophrenic, switches back and forth between forward and reverse erratically. At least its good for a few laughs.

Back to the oil gauge...
I could never get mine to quit leaking at the motor or under the dash. If you have a nice stereo in there then your risking oiling it with a gauge leak. My old gauge oiled my CD player once or twice. Just got tired of it. This is definitely an easy upgrade and a worthwhile one IMHO.

Why do you want to do it?

good luck

Thanks for the comment. There are a few reasons I want to do this:

1) I have the entire engine bay stripped, a new crate motor, and the entire dash out of the car right now. So if I'm going to do it nows the time.
2) Before I tore the whole car apart this year I already had to replace the line to the guage because the old black plastic line was brittle and just cracked at the block. When I replaced the line I had a few problems. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I remember having to jury rig a fitting to the back of the old gauge to get the line installed. Also the fitting on the motor didn't seam to really seat correctly even though it didn't leak.

Given the above I'm worried about the current gauge. I'm also partial to electronic guages. Can't exactly explain why. Just seams like fewer moving parts to break.

I'm actually putting things back on the car now so I think I've turned a corner. I have to figure this out in the next few weeks. The after market gauges come with the sending unit all for less than the price of just a late model C3 gauge. When I get to the point that it's time to drop the body back on the car I'll have to make up my mind.

I'm still open to other input.

Thanks,

Whiplash

Now is the time to do it since you have it that far apart. You should be able to replace all the gages with matching aftermarket ones. You could even go all digital.:D BTW ditch the ammeter and go with a voltmeter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom