Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing Air Filter

W

white02

Okay, kind of ashamed to admit this, but has anyone else had trouble changing the air filter? I have a 2002 Coupe and just changed the air filter. I had a hell of a time getting those damn straps to lock down and stay down. Okay, let the verbal abuse begin, I can take it.

Red Faced 02 Owner

air filter

White02
No verbal abuse from me.
I also had that same problem. I would sweat, swear, curse, etc. Then I finally figured out the trick to this. When you hook the two c-shaped hooks into the slots that they go into, simultaneously lift upward on the handle while rotating the handle down to lock it. So- hook, lift, then rotate the handle down.
To make it stay down, there was a previous posting done on this, so you can look back a ways. I think that you file about 1/8" off the back of the handles where they contact the air box.
DRTH VTR

Although I have hear of others having some problems, I had no trouble when I changed my air filter. But when in doubt, use a bigger hammer (just kidding).

I had some problems initially, but got around that by adding a blackwing air filter. Got rid of the original filter and box, very limited air passage and now only have to monitor the vacuum gauge for future cleaning.

I just changed my filter today to the K&N and also put the Z06 air cover on.

Getting it off was easy but getting the straps back on was a bit difficult. Took a lot of pressure but they finally 'ckicked' down.

Now I'll find out if there really is a difference from the stock stuff.

Hope you put a K&N in...;)

The Air Filter Housing on the stock C-5 leaves a lot to be desired as far as locking shut and staying that way. Mine would be unlocked after every trip past 100mph, which happens quite often as you should know.

My remedy was an after market set-up,of which I am happy with but has garnered many opposite opinions of mine.(Vararam)

Almost every aftermarket kit is better than stock.

Hi there, Doneboy,
This is common on 97-early 00 vehicles.
Basically, if you look on the back of the latches, there is extra plastic, from the casting process.
The simple fix is to file the latch flat, removing the excess plastic, and you will be fine. It will not unlatch after this change.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom