Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing body mounts

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Hi folks,
I have read most of the posts from the past on the body mount issues. Seems like everyone who has tackled this project has had alot of broken bolts. However I did not see or missed the "bolt issue". Are bolt kits required because they seem to brake or is there some other reason? Length, strength?

I purchased the urethane mounts by themselves. The original bolts seem to be fine, all came out with no problems. Did not have to use any penetrating oil. I have seen bolts available with the urethane mounts. Are they required? Proceed with using the old ones?

Thanks tcxd40

Use the old bolts they will be fine.It would be best to use stainless bolts to replace them with .The only reason they break is because of rust.

Unless ther is some compling reason not to use the originals, I will be cleaning and preping them for some type of rust preventive coating. Then place them back in.

tcxd40

IMO, if you decide to replace the body bolts this is the time to do it. The bolts that were removed may have come out OK but a new hardware set is really cheep insurance especially when the bolts that were removed are 20+ years old. I am sure you will kick yourself if one or more bolts fail sometime over the lifetime you own the car. Here are a few facts about Stainless Steel hardware: When contemplating replacing OEM fasteners with stainless steel, remember that common stainless steel does not have the strength of common alloy steels and should not be used for critical, highly stressed applications. Stainless steel also has higher friction than steel does which gives less preload at the same torque. When in doubt, keep the OEM steel stuff for critical applications.
Brian

Believe me when I say the bolts are fine. A little suface rust on the heads and some heavier rust at the exposed threads. Each still retains the black oxide finish if that is the correct finish used on the bolts. A quick passs on the wire wheel, cleaned, painted and ready to re-install. And yes I use anti-seize on damn near everything. If I have to work on it in the future I want it to come apart. Of course it is only where it should be, there are places that anti-seize would not be the best to use.
tcxd40

As of last night I finished the body mount changes. All went well. Factory bolts re-installed. Doors open and close as they should, no cracks in any of the panels.

Thanks to those for the prior posts on body mounts, the infromation was priceless.

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom