Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing Shift Knob Any Problems

Jim Cole

Corvette
2002 Triple Black Convertible
I am changing the shift knob on my C5 (standard,) are there any tricks or problems removing the original knob?

Hey Jim,

The first step is to take out the shift diagram. Just use a small flathead screwdriver to do that.

That retainer pin is a PITA to get out. It is the silver thing you see in the opening under the shift diagram. After that, it is straightforward. I used bent nose pliers to pry the retainer pin out. Be careful using the edge of the knob to pry on, it is soft and can be damaged easily.

Once the pin is out, just unscrew the old knob and install the new one.
If you have no need to keep the old knob you can just cut it off using a dremel tool and easily remove the retainer pin.

exactly as Randy said.

(once you gently pry the shift pattern cover off)
I used a set of needle nose vice grips to get a tight hold on the demon key, then clamped THAT set with a larger set of vice grips, and then had to beat the larger grips with a hammer (upward) until the retainer pin came out.

From there, you just unscrew the knob. At this time, you could shorten your stock shifter with a dremmel or hack saw.
Cut it down about 7/8", screw the new knob on, use dremel or hacksaw to cut a bit off the end of the demon key(if its needed with your new shift knob), knock it back in and you are done.

So, if I wanted to shorten the shifter I would not have to worry about re-threading it? I could just screw on either a new knob or the stock knob? Please let me know before I cut up my shifter ;)

If you cut the shifter you should thread the rod down to where the widens out. I cut off just a half inch and it didnt really make much of a differance. I than went firther down and it really felt better with the shorter throw.

Its a 9 16th by 18 thread. I would advise unbolting the shifter and putting it in a vise to thread it.

Thanks for you advice, changed the knob exactly as you said, everthing look and works great. Now if we could just get some weather to drive.

Thanks!!

Jim

9/16-32 hex die

available at Home Depot or Lowes?
Traffic is hell after Katrina and will save the trip if they don't normally stock this.
(web sites don't show it)
Thanks
Rain

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom