Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

changing the auto trans fluid

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
Just bought the Fram kit for $14.00 at the local auto parts store. I looked in the specification page but it didn't tell me how much trans fluid I'll need.

Does anyone know how much trans fluid is needed?

Any tips or suggestions?

According to my Haynes manual, for a drain and refill, it should take 4.5 quarts of fluid. I've done it before, but it is alittle messy.
Good luck.

When you drop the filter pan to change the oil you only change a portion of the oil. There are machines that can change all your oil but its not "do it at home stuff", it does however completely change all the oil which is best to do.

If your oil has high mileage I would check into getting it changed by a shop,,, if you have been changing it according to the owner manuel your probably ok. It would take several tranny oil changes to get it back to pretty new oil in the entire system. Remember that when you drop the pan you are not draining the converter or other places where oil is suspended when the tranmission is not in use.

resto75 said:
When you drop the filter pan to change the oil you only change a portion of the oil. There are machines that can change all your oil but its not "do it at home stuff", it does however completely change all the oil which is best to do.

If your oil has high mileage I would check into getting it changed by a shop,,, if you have been changing it according to the owner manuel your probably ok. It would take several tranny oil changes to get it back to pretty new oil in the entire system. Remember that when you drop the pan you are not draining the converter or other places where oil is suspended when the tranmission is not in use.

So how much oil can I actually change? Will it be a significant amount to make a difference?

Thank you for bringing that up, I never even thought any of that!

I recently changed the fluid in my 85 700R-4. It's not a 'vette, its a IROC Z-28. However, fluid capacity should be the same. Much to my surprise, I needed almost "8" quarts to fill it up again. Haynes manual says the capacity of the 700R-4 is 10 qts. With a filter change, you replace 8. Not bad...80% of total capacity. As a sidenote, after some research I decided to try Amsoil synthetic when refilling, hopefully better longevity, etc. Hope this helps.

I guess change it and see how much it takes to replace it like Pauls did on his. If it takes 8 out of 10 Qts you should be in good shape.

You just need to refill the trans to the full mark and an auto parts store probably can tell you how many Qts it should take.

Did it today...

And to show everyone how much of an "expert" mechanic I am, it only took me 2 hours! LOL. But seriously, it did take me 2 hours and I think I did a pretty good job. I even used some gasket seal and washed out the interior and exterior of the pan.

I haven't put any of the fluid in because I only bought 5 quarts the other day. But I'm going back tomorrow and will buy 5 more and I'll just return anything that I don't use.

Thanks for all the help!

Tips?

Only tip I have is that next time I do mine, I'm going to install a drain plug kit to make it a little less messy next time! It is a good idea.

My 4L60E in the 96 Vette took about 4 1/2 quarts for a fluid and filter change.

About 1/2 quart went down my arm, and 2 quarts on the floor, and 2 quarts in the oil drain pan that I found to be too small!

Another tip! try a large kitty litter pan for a drain pan to catch the fluid as it comes out, it's rectangular shape would work much better than my little round piece of crap oil drain pan did :(

3rd tip, have someone else change the fuel filter in your late model C4. Preferrably someone you don't like! (whole other story here!)

Under 5 quarts Bullwinkle.(I would not drain the converter) I would suggest you stay away from any type sealer. Rubber gasket only. One way to avoid getting messy is to loosen rear bolts, remove front and side bolts and tip pan with rear attached. Works like a charm.;)

mine took.......

my mechanic changed mine i bought a 6 pack of Mobil-1 synthetic tranny fluid and he said it used it all. i checked it and it's full and clean :D no metal flakes....lol of course it only had 34k in miles on it but trannies should be changed every 15k miles or so.....anything over 50 or 60k in miles that never been changed i'd recommend DON'T change it! what happens is the fluid eats the seals up and is basically is the only thing holding the seals together once they go you get slippage and it only gets worse :mad

COMPLETE transmission fluid change! (Auto)

I've heard about a way to change ALL the fluid, by draining the pan.....refilling.....running the car with the return line from the cooler losse and hokked up to some tubing.....and refilling as it drains from there. This SUPPOSEDLY changes ALL the fluid.....anyone familiar with this one?

Racerseks said:
I've heard about a way to change ALL the fluid, by draining the pan.....refilling.....running the car with the return line from the cooler losse and hokked up to some tubing.....and refilling as it drains from there. This SUPPOSEDLY changes ALL the fluid.....anyone familiar with this one?
You'll get 99.9% that way!! Don't run the Pump Dry!!:upthumbs junk!!

Cool.....never tried the procedure.....you have any tips? One question.....which is the return line?

Thanks!

Edmond,

It could be that your car is early enough to have a converter drain plug. It's easy enough to find out. Pull the inspection cover below the torque converter and turn the engine clockwise by turning the bolt on the harmonic balancer. If it has a plug it will eventually come to the bottom.

With a torque converter plug, do everything that you did this time, PLUS turn the engine to put the converter plug at the bottom and drain it as well.

When changing fluid without changing fluid in converter, you are only changing about half of the fluid or a little more.

Good luck,

Didn't know the converters had drain plugs.....I'm behind on the newer ones.....when did the converter drain plugs first appear?

Racerseks said:
Didn't know the converters had drain plugs.....I'm behind on the newer ones.....when did the converter drain plugs first appear?
Bout all Older one's did!! 72 back!! Ford, Cry,Gm, Some Rice Car's Do Now!! I personaly Think it's a Good Deal Myself!! When I had a converter built for my Car Haul'n Truck I had them put one in!!:upthumbs junk!!

Gerald helped me with our 96 a couple years ago.
only bit of advice, when pan is dropped and you are replacing the filter, sometimes the ring/spacer thingy gets stuck up in there.
Some shops will just shove the new filter in on top of it -
we worked for 2 days to get mine out - haha!

Fabricated a hook from an old screwdriver and some heat.

Rain said:
Fabricated a hook from an old screwdriver and some heat.

Man that thing works great too. It hasn't been that long ago Rain.

My 9" 2600 stall doesn't have a drain. Then again less volume.

:w

Hrtbeat1 said:
Man that thing works great too. It hasn't been that long ago Rain.

My 9" 2600 stall doesn't have a drain. Then again less volume.

:w

hahaha

ok - year and a half.. you were still in the apt. in Biloxi then.

How ya been? Talked to Jane Ann last night for a while in the chat room here on CAC.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom