Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Charcoal filter on air cleaner

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
Bud, in his infinate wisdom,opened a can of worms for me on Gerrys recent post,bringing up the topic of the seemingly ridiculous charcoal filter that is glued to the air cleaner housing,on our 81's and that sits right behind the air cleaner.

That thing has been there all the time,and i never gave it a second look,or thought until Bud and others mentioned it
I tried a bit yesterday to pry mine off with a screw driver,not enough to damage it, but couldnt make it budge,superglued in there big time.

It definately does restrict the air flow,that is evident. But i just put on one of the K&N open top (partially) air cleaner lids with the oval K&N filter (removeable) filter sitting in the center of it right over the carb.

This is not to be confused with the XStream top universal filter cover that the same company makes,but is very simalar to the oem chrome air cleaner lid that we have on our 81's with a K&N filter in the center.

I did put this on my 81 and it does look nice. I took the car out for a spin yesterday,and tried some spirited "acceleration" runs with the four speed.

SOP performance was improved somewhat,as well as the good old 4 barrell roar that i missed from days of my ute. especially in 2nd and 3rd gear when the quad opened up.

Almost sounded like a 60,s vette. (I did say almost)

Anyway,i still would like to get rid of that darn carbon air blocker,

Later,Ken:cool

:w Ken :D

I know of a few that have purchased a used air cleaner base off Ebay and used them. The one that comes to mind is an ole buddy from Nebraska, he found one at a garage sale that fit and had the proper notches and connections and NO Charcoal Filter and used it, saving his "Original" with the Charcoal Filter.... Saving the Charcoal filter in "Origianl" condition qualifies as a "purest" ;LOL in my book :boogie

I've been acused of being one... but I've done enough "Little" things to Rare that she no longer is Pure Stock...

Bud

I agree Bud, I too have made subtle changes on my 81,but also thought about going the ebay route and keeping the stock unit with the filter.

But what other year dual snorkle air cleaner housings would fit?

Im thinking 78-79 L82 as 80 was the first year that they used the charcoal filters.

Ken

:w Ken,

I think you're right with the years and the engine designations ;) I would bet there are probably other year similar GM cars that might fit too. Happy Hunting ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom