Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chastened Stewart admits: 'I did a lot of damage'

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
2zqt25t.jpg

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart backed off recent comments questioning the validity of debris cautions after being chastened by NASCAR officials in a meeting early Friday morning at Talladega Superspeedway.

"I know I did a lot of damage," Stewart said. "I'm a lot of times my own worst enemy."

Frustrated by four debris cautions that hampered his chances of winning last weekend at Phoenix, Stewart ducked the media after finishing second to Jeff Gordon. He vented on his satellite radio show Tuesday, comparing NASCAR to professional wrestling and implying that results were staged.

"I guess NASCAR thinks, 'Hey, wrestling worked, and it was for the most part staged, so I guess it's going to work in racing, too,'" he said on his radio program Tuesday night. "I can't understand how long the fans are going to let NASCAR treat them like they're stupid before the fans finally turn on NASCAR."

The remarks infuriated image-conscious NASCAR officials, who called Stewart in to address the issue at 6 a.m. Friday, the hour the garage opened. "It's a little tender for me to sit down right now," Stewart quipped.

But it wasn't a joke to NASCAR, which penalized Stewart $10,000 -- not for his comments, but for skipping media obligations after the Phoenix race. Stewart was also placed on probation until Dec. 31. Series officials watched from the back of the media center as a humbled Stewart made his comments, (listen here) which contrasted starkly with his remarks Tuesday.

"To be honest, the group that I spoke with this morning is a group of peers that I trust. If they tell me the stuff is out there, I believe them," he said.

"I should have went to them instead of just saying it out in public. That's frustration that's been building up with all these debris cautions."

Article

On Tuesday, Stewart spoke what many stock-car racing fans have felt for many years, and did-so as a free man, from the heart:
on Friday, he was forced to apologize, swinging from the gallows pole, from the wallet.

It'd be nice if some (ANY? ) of today's group of refrigerator-White, bland-as-milk drivers had that marbles to stand-up with Stewart and agree with him, but the sanitized-for-your-protection/politically-correct drivers don't have a clue.....
:mad

NASCAR & Fudge-Hammer France have run rough-shod since 18 February, and show no-signs of letting-up now:
their fan-base is now coast-to-coast, but just 1/16"-thick.....
:crazy

From what the boys are saying Tony got spanked/fined for not showing @ media dog coverage after last weeks race, sounds like a canned excuse to whoop up on 1 of the only real NASCAR race drivers left.

Bottom line is real NASCAR bump and grind racing is a thing of the past, the COT or TURD is going in the direction of IROC, but I guess this is progress. ;squint:

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

From what the boys are saying Tony got spanked/fined for not showing @ media dog coverage after last weeks race, sounds like a canned excuse to whoop up on 1 of the only real NASCAR race drivers left.
Yeah, Brian Lump-Lump 'used' the media excuse to get-back at Stewart for what he said:
having his-own radio-show, Stewart should've 'claimed' he was fulfilling his-OWN media-obligations by interviewing others racers when he 'missed' his interview session.....
:chuckle

surely, NASCAR doesn't want to prohibit or limit media inter-cation with the racers.....
do-they?
;)

Bottom line is real NASCAR bump and grind racing is a thing of the past, the COT or TURD is going in the direction of IROC, but I guess this is progress. ;squint:

How bass-akwards must France be to think that THIS is 'progress' ?
:crazy

NASCAR is rapidly becoming IROC without the "C".....
:eyerole

Tony spoke the truth and got spanked.Last year was the first time Tony was not on probation.
Although I'm a TS fan it's because I really believe he is the best driver out there.I like Jr. because he's good but he's a gentleman .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom