Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cheap Aerobody kit on ebay...

• Thread starter Thread starter SurfnSun
  • Start date Start date
SurfnSun said:
I can't believe this car....but if...cities.com/mypicturehost/callaway/2.jpg[/IMG]

Current bidding on this Aerocoupe is only $2025, so I doubt you could go too far wrong at that price, even if some minor pieces are missing. Each piece of the Callaway kit probably goes for around that amount. Callaway probably wants more than that amount for the scooped hood.

I suspect the bids will go up substantially as the auction closes, but this is a no reserve car... Since I have a 91 non-TT Aerovert (it's a placeholder for a TT Aerovert or TT Aerocoupe), I might become a little depressed if this car sells for a small amount.

Note that the seller has zero sales/purchase history with Ebay and really has very little idea what the car is worth ("costs new around $100,000"). At least he has posted the VIN number on Ebay so that the history of the car can be checked out a bit.

mangusta1969, you should buy my car and switch the Aerobody to it. ;)

Regarding the VIN...its not correct. I could be mistaken, but all C4 VINs start out 1g1yy....

SurfnSun said:
Regarding the VIN...its not correct. I could be mistaken, but all C4 VINs start out 1g1yy....

...unless it was a ZR1, yep.

From the spec's:
1985 Corvette Identification

VIN Tag Information
1G1YY0787F100001 - 1G1YY0787F139729
Digit Definition
1st Nation of Origin: 1 = U.S.
2nd Manufacturer: G = GM
3rd Make and Type: 1 = Chevrolet Passenger
4th Carline: Y = Corvette
5th Carline/Series: Y = Corvette
6th/7th Body Type: 07 = Corvette Coupe Hatchback
8th Engine: 8 = L98
9th Check digit to verify VIN correctly recorded.
10th Model Year: F = 1985
11th Assembly Plant: 5 = Bowling Green, KY
Last 6 digits Production Number starting with 100001 and up. "

VIN IS AN 84 VIN from description :confused

From the specs: "1984 Corvette Identification

VIN Tag Information
1G1AY0782E5100001 - 1G1AY0782E5151547
Digit Definition
1st Nation of Origin: 1 = U.S.
2nd Manufacturer: G = GM
3rd Make and Type: 1 = Chevrolet Passenger
4th Vehicle Restraint Sys: A= Non-passive/Manual Belts
5th Carline/Series: Y = Corvette
6th/7th Body Type: 07 = Corvette Coupe Hatchback
8th Engine: 8 = L83
9th Check digit to verify VIN correctly recorded.
10th Model Year: E = 1984
11th Assembly Plant: 5 = Bowling Green, KY
Last 6 digits Production Number starting with 100001 and up. "

this car has to have a story, long, long story :confused

Wow, I would bid on this car...but hate to think of what would be involved to drag it back to the right coast.

I suspect they won't let it go anywhere near this price.

I learned a nasty trick from a e-bay pro. They have friends on there that will bid it up at the close of the sale if it is too low. Then outside of the auction, they will contact the highest actual bidder and tell them the fictional high bidder backed out, and offer it to them at or close to the fictional high bid.

I can't download the last 11 or so photos. As far as I can get is the inside shot looking up at the glass roof.

Any pics of the engine there?

Those rims look like terrible on that car. First thing I would do is put some real wheels on it. Since it is an 85, you can run full ZR1 rims on the rear and they will mostly fit and look great.

69MyWay said:
Wow, I would bid on this car...but hate to think of what would be involved to drag it back to the right coast.

I suspect they won't let it go anywhere near this price.

I learned a nasty trick from a e-bay pro. They have friends on there that will bid it up at the close of the sale if it is too low. Then outside of the auction, they will contact the highest actual bidder and tell them the fictional high bidder backed out, and offer it to them at or close to the fictional high bid.

You know, the shame of it is, many folks do that - I am in NO WAY saying that this seller would do that, has, will or wants to do this but I , like you have heard of this practice :(

I hope someoone gets a neat looking car for a fair price - then changes those wheels :D

Happy bidding :beer

Does it look like the cowl has been worked on to you guys?

it seems to looked smoothed out to me.
5.jpg

yea Bill the middle of the hood has definitely been built up.

12.jpg

looks like an later C4 :confused
centerbolt valve covers & fat steering wheel - 3rd brake light too...

actually - here is where it gets more defined... carpeted sills - interoduced on 88's

6.jpg

looks like 3rd gen f-body valve covers on it :confused

It's advertised as an '84, but an '84 should have cross-fire injection. The Tuned Port Injection didn't start until '85. The valve covers with the center bolts I believe indicate aluminum heads, which started I think in late '86. As 89x2 pointed out, the carpeted sills started in '88. Fat steering wheel started in '85 or '86.

Definitely a put-together job. :( They may have to let it go for that low of a price.

Jonstr

P.S. Isn't that a broom handle holding up the rear hatch glass in that one picture?:L

Corvette Kit Car?

This truly appears to be a Corvette Kit Car. Perhaps it is better represented as an:

84/85/86/88/Firebird/Corvette/Aerocoupe/Low rider

My late 86 Corvette had a thick two spoke steering wheel, as shown in one of the pix.
My late 86, aluminum head, Corvette also had anodized aluminum valve covers, so I agree with the comment about Fbody origins for at least some engine parts.
Carpeted thresholds indicates an 88 interior.
Car appears to be lowered about 1-1.5 inches (look at the wheel center heights as compared to the front and rear vent locations/vertical heights)
Coupe aerobody first appeared in late 88, I believe

Must indicate some new style consciousness in the Bev Hills area.

Thats an awfully cheap price! Is there a possibility of someone producing fake aerobody pieces. Has anyone on the board had a conversation with the owner? Or just maybe the owner wants to scam someone. Hopefully not..............

Johnny

*89x2* said:
12.jpg

looks like an later C4 :confused
centerbolt valve covers & fat steering wheel - 3rd brake light too...

actually - here is where it gets more defined... carpeted sills - interoduced on 88's

6.jpg

looks like 3rd gen f-body valve covers on it :confused

Check out the dash though, looks like an '84 dash, the digital cluster wasn't as deep back in '84 as it was in later years.... this car is a little bit of everything. I am guessing it was a total wreck with a bad front hit that did damage to the engine, and someone bought the callaway kit instead of going stock... swapped the engine and other stuff at the same time.

dash

The 85 had the shallow dash too. 86 was when it got deep.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom