Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cheap easy mods for an 81??can anyone help..

D

Daves68roadster

Well after a lot of thought I have decided to keep my 81 along with my 68. The 81 is 100% stock with the exception of flowmasters,
I am planning on a freeflow cat next.I would like to make the car run a little better without breaking the bank and still retain the comfort,driveability and dependability and it needs to be emissions legal and would like to keep it under $1000...what would you do....I already have one loud uncomfortable pretty healthy vette, the 81 is an automatic
Thanx in advance

Dave,

Maintaining the CA emissions, and having a real barn burner is an oxymoron
biggrin.gif

I put the flowmasters and the flow cats on mine. It is almost respectable, but with only 190 hp stock, well it's ok. I put an ADS Super Chip in it???? and It may pull a little more around 3-3500 rpm, I have a 4 speed.

I am between a rock and a hard spot, I want to keep it as original as possible, yet not be eaten at the light by a Honda.. Change rearends? different gears will help at the low end, but then lose performance at highway speeds...

If you find the magic bullet, and can do it for $1K let me know too. I guess I am more interested in the style of the 80; 81 & 82 than the neck breaking launch.. I've put all new suspension under it and will run Highway 49 with anyone...

Good Luck

BudD
wavey.gif

I am really not lookin for a barn burner just a little more umph...With the lack of horsepower in this car a T5 should probably hold up may go that route at least it will be more fun to drive. I really do like the way the car drives.keep the suggestions comin though will digest all of them and go from there...Thanx

Dave I dont know about your emission regulations but on the original engine setup in my 81 I had a torker 2 intake and matching edelbrock carb. The original computer HEI was replaced with an old style HEI, an msd module, crane recurve kit and an accell 300+ digital ignition which included an accell coil. This set up got the car to run 14.7@95 and a best 60` time of 1.7. I would expect you should be able to pick this up for less than a $1000 and a Sunday to sort it all out you might even be able to throw in a mild cam and stay within your $1000, it should make your vette just quick enough so you dont get caught out by any ricers at the lights.
J.

------------------
81 4spd 355 sbc with full Edelbrock Performer RPM setup 64cc heads, matching cam and lifters and geardrive, Crane roller rockers and pushrods, airgap intake, 750cfm manual choke carb,Hilborn scoop, K&N filter, reworked HEI with Accel 300+ digital ignition, original headers with duall exhaust, no cats

http://www.Genuine-Chevrolet.com

Hi Dave, (aka Krewsin81)

Earlier this year I installed new 7mm silicone wires, platnium plugs, Accel cap, & Accel Super HEI coil. All for about 150 bucks. A previous owner had already ditched the ECM and installed a vacuum type distributor along with a standard 795 cfm carb. Havn't seen the rice burner yet that got nothing but smaller in the mirror very rapidly.

Good luck

Dale

Hi Dave, (aka Krewsin81)

Earlier this year I installed new 7mm silicone wires, platnium plugs, Accel cap, & Accel Super HEI coil. All for about 150 bucks. A previous owner had already ditched the ECM and installed a vacuum type distributor along with a standard 795 cfm carb. Havn't seen the rice burner yet that got nothing but smaller in the mirror very rapidly.

Good luck

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom