Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

cheap source for rebuild kit P/Steering

silver 80

Corvette
1980 silver with blk interior 1987 blue / blue
Hey guys,
Napa has the rebuild kits for the power steering control valve and the cylinder. for under $11.00 each.
I just ordered the cylinder rebuild kit for $9.00
If it'sthe same as the one offered in the mags for $25.00 then i think I'll stock up.

tom

I've had pretty good luck with NAPA kits and parts, price wise and otherwise. The only thing that I have seen that I can do better on in the catalogs are rebuilt calipers from Vette Brakes. Otherwise NAPA has it covered.

Hmmmmm

Wonder if they have boots, seals and plugs for my wiper door acuator? Was just getting ready to order a kit from MA.

Bill

I'm rebuilding my control cylinder (1977). I removed the snap ring, but nothing else comes out. Should the rod come out? Should the parts just 'fall out'?

Does the NAPA kit come with instructions? I need to rebuild mine, but have never done a cylinder and am not sure I should try. ;)

Steve :w

Steve,
There is some included instructions, but not very informative. It basically shows you an exploded view of the cylinder with the internal parts. Sometimes I forget that I do have a couple manuals around the house. I'll check in them tonight, but it should not be hard to change at all. With mine, a little brass washer is not coming out, and I'm not sure how to get it out.

done!

The control cylinder is complete! This is what I did.

1.) Removed snap ring with snap ring pliers.
2.) Removed the brass washer. It would not 'fall out', so I drilled a small hole in the washer. I inserted a small wood screw into the hole, then pulled the washer out.
3.) Removed a rubber (or felt) washer. I used a long pin to get this out.
4.) Removed another washer. The outer diameter was a little smaller than the inside chamber, so it came out easily.
5.) Removed the rubber seal. I used a small screwdriver to get it out. I wasn't worried about damaging it, because it was getting replaced.
6.) Reinstallation was the reverse. (without drilling holes and stuff)
7.) The snap ring was tough to re-install, because all of the new seals are new and not compressed. I was able to put the snap ring into the cylinder,but it did not 'lock' into it's groove. I used a small piece of pipe, and slid the pipe ontop the snap ring. I tapped it gently with a hammer. The hammer pushed the snap ring into it's groove.

That's it!!!

I installed a new chrome pulley on my pwr strg pump. I hooked up everthing. I was ready to balance my control valve, then I realized that my power strg pump was not pumping at all. So, I removed it, and took off the pulley. A new pump is on order and is due on Tuesday.

I am proud to note that the control cylinder nor the control valve leaked fluid. (I rebuilt them both).

On another note, I threw a bit of transmission fluid in the car and cranked it up. It appears that a new front and rear seal stopped those leaks too. It was alot of work, but worth it all!

On to checking the dashboard heater/AC vacuum lines. Thanx to 77-4 speed and Bobchad for their shared experiences!

Congrats, YOu have done a whole lot of work in a short period of time. It is nice not to have drips on the floor after you park the car.

Too bad about the pump. At least they are pretty much still available.

Thanks for the update.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom