Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cheap Z06s

Dime

Corvette
1991 White w/ red ZR-1
Hey fellas, I Have been looking for a corvette for the past couple of weeks and hope to get one within September. I have been looking around and have found a few C5 Z06 corvettes that are ridiculously cheap, one as low as $10,000:eek.

What's the deal? The cars appear to be in great condition and have low mileage. The sealers clam the cars are in great condition (could be lying of course).

Hey fellas, I Have been looking for a corvette for the past couple of weeks and hope to get one within September. I have been looking around and have found a few C5 Z06 corvettes that are ridiculously cheap, one as low as $10,000:eek.

What's the deal? The cars appear to be in great condition and have low mileage. The sealers clam the cars are in great condition (could be lying of course).

Here's the term: "Hammered to hell" That's all you need to know about a real low ball price on any late model sports car, or any car for that matter. I've been looking for a winter car and so far I've found damn little in the way of used cars. I found one Saturn, broken plastic fender, inside it looked and smelled like dog and a goat had lived in it for a long time and it had 195.000 miles on it. The guy wanted $1700 for it ? But if your talking Corvettes, You really don't want one put back together from parts or whatever. I never even consider a 'salvage' titled car, and for myself, I want a "GM certified" used car. And a good warranty to cover it. I would think with the economy like it is, that used car prices would go down. But that doesn't seem like it now. Just my $0.02, ;shrug

I've seen a few '97 C5's selling for $15,000 but nothing as low as you're saying. Last year my '03 was worth $38,000 and in just over a year the price has dropped to $29,000. It kind of floored me that its value could drop that much, that quickly. Could be that there are too many C5's out on the road and you know what they say about supply and demand. Too many and nobody wanting to buy brings the values down.

Hi Dime! and welcome to the Corvette Action Center from a fellow Mississippian!!

I've not checked out any Z06's for sale recently so I wouldn't have any experience to draw from to advise you. My suggestion would be to look at NADA book and Kelly Bluebook prices for a comparison, as well as suggestions from these guys here on the CAC.

I'm not familiar with C5 Z06 issues, but it seems I've seen threads here concerning clutch and shifter wear and tear. A search of the Z06 forums should yield more info too.

One caution comes to mind: Carfax. Someone once told me that a Carfax report is nice, but the state of Mississippi isn't a participating state so claims here at home may not necessarily be on there. I think, emphasis on think, that an insurance agent can check for any claims filed on a particular VIN.

BTW, here are a couple of links that may yield more info:

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Buying a Corvette

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Model Center

Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C5 Z06 Corvette Center

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

It's always great to get an amazing deal on a car when you buy one, but 10k for a Z06 is most likely either a scam, or a car thats got problems on top of problems and will be nothing but trouble...when it's too good to be true, then it usually is.

It's always great to get an amazing deal on a car when you buy one, but 10k for a Z06 is most likely either a scam, or a car thats got problems on top of problems and will be nothing but trouble...when it's too good to be true, then it usually is.

Usually it is, but here are some pictures of a Z06 that I found. The owner is asking $14,000 for it, and it has 56,000 miles.

zzzzenginez06.jpg

zzzzenginez062.jpg

zzzzenginez063.jpg

zzzzenginez065.jpg

zzzzenignez064.jpg

That just looks like a car that was well maintained. I have also found many c5s up to 2004 for $15,000 and less with less than 60,000 miles.

Some guys take them in on trade (basically steal them), or grab them at the auctions cheap as heck. Then if the cars are'nt moving at a retail rate they just blow them out. I come across crazy deals like this in RI often.

Usually it is, but here are some pictures of a Z06 that I found. The owner is asking $14,000 for it, and it has 56,000 miles.

zzzzenginez06.jpg

zzzzenginez062.jpg

zzzzenginez063.jpg

zzzzenginez065.jpg

zzzzenignez064.jpg

That just looks like a car that was well maintained. I have also found many c5s up to 2004 for $15,000 and less with less than 60,000 miles.

I have to admit, it looks perfect. I could be wrong. Maybe it is a diamond in the rough?

Well if it's actually as good as it sounds then I'll be very happy for you, just be careful and make sure you do some deep digging at it so you're sure of the vehicle history. :thumb Just for kicks I checked autotrader for vette's 2000 and newer under 15k within 500 miles of myself and it showed me about 20 cars all either high mileage or having been wrecked. I don't know where the car is located at, it's not currently in Nigeria is it?:boogie I may be sounding pessimistic to you, just still leaning towards the "if it's too good to be true..." reasoning. Just be careful and like I said to start with, make sure you get a good history on it, plus I'd have a mechanic go over it good for you, the $$ you'll pay him to do a thorough inspection will be well worth it to either know it's safe or if you're about to be screwed. Best of luck to you, I'll be curious to find out what you manage to find out. :beer

Well if it's actually as good as it sounds then I'll be very happy for you, just be careful and make sure you do some deep digging at it so you're sure of the vehicle history. :thumb Just for kicks I checked autotrader for vette's 2000 and newer under 15k within 500 miles of myself and it showed me about 20 cars all either high mileage or having been wrecked. I don't know where the car is located at, it's not currently in Nigeria is it?:boogie I may be sounding pessimistic to you, just still leaning towards the "if it's too good to be true..." reasoning. Just be careful and like I said to start with, make sure you get a good history on it, plus I'd have a mechanic go over it good for you, the $$ you'll pay him to do a thorough inspection will be well worth it to either know it's safe or if you're about to be screwed. Best of luck to you, I'll be curious to find out what you manage to find out. :beer

:L:L:L:L You got that crap right Charlie!!:thumb
Most "Real" Z06's have a short throw Z06 shifter in them,not a regular long throw C5 shifter!!:thumb :boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

REAL Z06
Img205.jpg

IMITATION Z06
zzzzenginez062.jpg

My guess is it's a Wannabe Z06!! Nothing more than a FRC that has had the Rear Brake Air Ducts installed,Z06 Fuel Rail Covers,Z06 Fender Badges,Z06 Grill Screens,and a set of Z06 Chrome Wheels!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Maybe if we had a good photo of the instrument cluster and the seat backs we'd know for sure,but even better yet a photo of the nomenclature in the glove box!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS The drivers side seat bottom looks to me to be worn and beat down purdy bad for a 56,000 mile car!!

:D:D:D

What about these? I'm pretty sure the first two are Zs; not positive

Owner is asking $12700, it has 34000 miles on it. Clams he is having financial problems and needs the money.
7645128.jpg

9985782.jpg

3375691.jpg

Asking $10000 with 5000 miles.
6891712.jpg

6631468.jpg

Asking $14900 with 26000 miles.
3824427.jpg

4683717.jpg

Man, I didn't find anything like that when I was looking.....have you seen any of these car in person? Not trying to be a kill-joy, but something isn't right....For your sake I hope I'm wrong. :thumb

Logically with the economy the way it is I expected to see this long ago. That said it is always buyer beware. You could pay $30K and still get in trouble. However if you get a car that is apparantly in good shape with a good fax, and you also save $6-10K it still may be worth the risk. Consider that you have that extra money that could be used for repairs and still be in good shape. At worst case the parts are almost worth what you paid.

I smell somthing fishy.

Every post by this guy is about some "deal" on either a Z06 clone or a ZR1 clone. Every car is at a dealer and not a "private" seller. Some guy that needs to get rid of a car at a steep discount because he needs the money wont have it at a dealer. All of these cars are at dealers but now one can find them in autotrader? ebay? craigslist? If I needed money and needed to sell a car I would advertise it unless it was stolen.

I dont know what this guys motive is but somthing is fishy. Maybe I am wrong but I have seen deals like this on the GN forum with "Hey I found a 500 mile GNX and can get it for $25K should I buy it ?".

Trust me, I am more than suspicions of all three of these guys than I need to be. I just wanted to get others opinions.

No way. At a deaership no less. What's the going price for the Brooklyn Bridge these day?

I bought a car on ebay last fall before I transfered any money I had two people look at it.One was from member of a Corvette club in that city.The second person was someone Junkie recommended .Then Junkie went out himself to pick it up himself to make sure all the paper work was in order.All that for a new car ,I'd do a lot more than that if it we're used.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom