Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

check engine light stays on

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Moving your post to the C3 Tech forum for greater exposure...

Welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy!!!

Do you know if the ECM is still in the car? That is very strange behavior. If you do have an ECM, do you know how to read codes? If so, are there any codes? If not let me know and I will tell you how.

Just checked, the warning light is fed from the guages fuse, and grounded via the ecm.
With the ignition off, there should be no power to the light. This could be cause by a few things; a dab ignition switch, a wiring fault, maybe a fault in the alternator as well

Don't know what ECM is. And where would the codes show up?

Do you know if the ECM is still in the car? That is very strange behavior. If you do have an ECM, do you know how to read codes? If so, are there any codes? If not let me know and I will tell you how.
Where would the codes show up at? What is ECM?

The 1981 is the first computer controlled corvette. ECM is the Electonic Control Module, or simply the computer

it is located in the battery compartment behind The driver seat. It will be on the front wall of the battery compartment. It is a silver box about 6" x 8" x 3" with two connectors, each with about 25 wires on it

To read the codes you can short the test connector and it will show codes by flashing the check engine light.

Under the ash tray is the test connector. Turn the key off, short the two pins closest to the driver seat ( a small screwdriver will work). Turn the key to on ( not start) and the check engine shoul blink a 12. A 12 would be one blink, pause, two blinks, long pause, it will repeat 12 three times. Then the next set of codes will be the error codes, each one blinking three times, then it will finish with a set of 12's again.

If it does not blink 12's check to see if it is getting power, then it is probably toast

Just curios, is the car running ok, what about the gas mileage, it the ecm is not working the cat will start to get about 10 mpg

Last edited:
As well as checking the above, (unless you try this first and the light goes out)
unplug the connector from your alternator with two wires in it (one red, one brown). Leave your ignition off when you do this. If the light goes out the problem is in the alternator. If it stays on it's somewhere else.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom