Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Check Engine Light

1985 4+3, 49k miles, K&N, Chip Stage 1, Air Foil, Power Effects Exhaust.
My check check engine light came on after about a 25 minute drive on the freeway. I got off and turned off the engine and restarted. The Light stayed off all the way back home. Yesterday went for another drive and it came on again after about a 30 minute drive on the freeway. After turning off the engine and re-starting ithe light is out agian. It has never happened in around town driving.
Suggestions? (egr? mass?... DUH)

:confused
Gus
P.S. This all started happening on my return trip form California. I had to have the dash cluster repaired as it shorted out1

that sounds expensive

umm try the egr valve wiggle the wire around that hooks to it
its located under your plenium

i have a 85' and others also said its really touchy

Getting the code is easy just use a piece of wire and ground A & B of your module. Then count the number of flashes to get the code. It tells you how in the Chilton manual. If is a code 32, then it's the EGR.

Sounds like the egr switch located on the egr tube on the passenger side exhaust near the firewall. It's a simple, cheap, replacement to do. Mine did the same before I replaced it.

It throws a code 32 error. Only happens after the exhaust gets really hot with freeway type driving after about 15-20 minutes. Not really serious. Mine still comes on occasionaly, but goes out after about 10 more minutes, then never comes on for the rest of the trip. I've found that the error does not come on if I'm doing some stop and go driving around town first, before hitting the higher speeds on the freeway. Kinda like if it gets warmed up first, it doesn't kick the lite on.:s :s :beer
Good luck,

thanks fixvet...nice handle.

I took it in this morn. Yes its the EGR. They had to order one $14.95. Since it was in I had the oil changed and Mobil 1 put in, new rotor and Cap. Alos had them change the trans and OD fluids... Costly Day... I have to take it to the transmission folks on Wednesday as the screen for the OD unit was missing when they changed the fluid!!! I can feel it now OUCH! :hb
I think maybe i'll buy a Rice Burner, cheap goes fast and who cares if it breaks...

:puke I feel sick
Gus
Http://www.gusvette.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom