Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Check your radiator fan bolts!

• Thread starter Thread starter White 68
  • Start date Start date
W

White 68

Check your radiator fan bolts"""

While I,m waiting on a part I took the radiator out for a cleaning and found that my right side electric fan was missing both top bolts """this let the fan sit back out of its housing about an inch and I,m sure was effecting its ability to keep things cool ...

Has anyone used wetter water or similiar additives that actually reduced you engine temps???

Good catch on finding those missing bolts before any damage was done. Drives home the point of making it a habit to every now and then to at least "eyeball" as much as you can on your vehicle, and to actually put a wrench on it if possible.

As for Redline's "Water Wetter", I use it and I believe the claims the it helps the coolant to better cling to the metal, but you're going to get a lot of feedback indicating that people think it's nothing more than "snake oil."

I,ve found alot of stuff loose ...Its a small price to pay for 7000rpm ....ha ha :beer

I recall there were quite a few reports of missing fan bolts on the ZR-1's right out of the factory. :eek

Here's an item from my ZR-1 maintenance log:
09/21/92 - Tightened all Radiator Hose Clamps on Engine. Also found a bolt missing from Electric Fan Assembly - Left Fan - top bolt - Replaced with new bolt.

It is something to check just as a mater of fact...
on my 87 I had a socket left in the radiator shroud by the previous owner I didnt know it was there untill I was on a road trip and it was jared loose and the cooling fans shot it into my radiator and produced a nice leak boy was I ****ed!!!

I always check my radiators for debris now!

BTW "Steel half shafts" is there anything of real reason for the steel half shafts?? I have them on my car and I kinda look at it as a really cool early ZR-1 trait but no one has told me any back ground on it other that being stronger???

any ideas??
johnny

Man, sounds like I better check my bolts. I never paid any attention to that. As far as Water Wetter goes.....I use it also but I can't tell any difference in temperature.

Johnny--- I've also got the steel half shafts and all I have heard is that they are stronger.....

Jay

All I've heard on the steel half-shafts is the same - They Are Stronger, but why they installed them on the early 1990 ZR-1's I don't have a clue! ;shrug

Haven't heard of any real problems with the aluminum ones, so I guess the steel ones just make the early 1990 Zee's a little more unique!
:dance

Yeah thats what I have heard..

Stronger because we have som many more horses than everyone else :eyerole ;)

Fan Bolts

I have no idea what the deal with the fan bolts are.

I had a 91 L98 that was missing two bolts on the passenger side fan and my 91 ZR1 was missing the same two bolts when I got it.

Someone was snoozing on the line.

Dan

Fan Bolts

I have no idea what the deal with the fan bolts are.

I had a 91 L98 that was missing two bolts on the passenger side fan and my 91 ZR1 was missing the same two bolts when I got it.

Someone was snoozing on the line.

Dan

Mine was also missing the top bolts on both fans. BTW, 3 are easy to get to but the one behind the A/C drier is a pain!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom