Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Checkerboard Floors

Corvette
2000 Dk. Bowling Green Metallic Coupe 1974 Coupe
I've seen some great pictures of garages that have checkboard floors made up of interlocking tiles. Can anyone tell me where to find these? What kind of experiences have you had with them?

Chris

Chris,

I did alot of research into that product and also another product on the market to do my floor this past summer. I did get a sample in the mail and I was not impressed. It just seems like a plastic product that allow oil and dirt to settle thru on the floor. It seemed very appealing at first, but it is also VERY $$$. I also looked into the paints on the market, but I really wanted the checkerboard (black and white). I bought black and white commercial grade Armstrong tile and glue and my wife and I spent a Sunday tiling the garage floor. IT LOOKS GREAT. I am sure I made the right decision for me. I have had it down for about 5 months and it is holding up fine and easy to just mop. After I finish decorating my newly finished garage I will post some pictures. This was just what was right for me....you should just do some research and determine what it right for you. Good Luck............

Kerry

Thanks Kerry! I'm looking forward to the pictures. I probably won't make any decision till the summer.

Some of the paint won't last. Hot tires stick to it. Might consider acid stain. I just did the inside of my house and am about to do the garage but I'm going to do one color and stain a C3 emblem in the center.

It is fairly easy. BUy a diamond blade for circulr saw. Chalk your squares the use a straight edge (2x4) to make your checkered cuts. Then apply the color stain you want to each square (2 coats) let it dry and then spray a sealer on. All you have to do after that is reseal it occasionally (inside it's only once a year). The hardest part is to make sure you get the concrete clean before you stain. A 2 car garage will cost around $100 for material plus a rental fee for the machine to sand the concrete for a good surface.

When I get around to doing mine I'll post some picks. The natural swirls and markings in the concrete kind of give it a marble effect.

Barkingowl...

The concern I'd have with those raised plastic squares is....

Dirt/ oil and junk trapped inside all those little holes.

I think Menards or home depot might have the tiles you are looking for.

I used www.motormat.com
It was extremely easy to do, 3 car took us ~ 2hours, and another couple for the trimming around the non square corners :mad
Yes it has the holes, but it is removable, and since my job require relocation, this wwas the best option. I actually like the holes, I get the hose out, and since the garage is poured correctly, the water does not pool.
When it is not that dirty, I use the shop vac, and then run over it with the wife's swifter, work awesome.

G93COM.JPG

G97OV.JPG

MVC-012F.JPG

I painted my garage floor with epoxy. It took me about three weeks to finish the job, but the paint is as hard as the concrete. I first painted the entire garage with the white, let it cure for 7 days, then taped off to paint the black, then let that cure for 14 days before using the garage. I use floor jacks and jack stands all the time, and the paint does not show any wear at all. I can post some pictures later if you are interseted in seeing them.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom