Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Checking for cracks in an aluminum block at home - possible?

HallenTi

Corvette
2006 Victory Red coupe
When getting a used, bare aluminum engine for possible rebuild/build-up, is there a reliable way to check the block for cracks at home? I know that a seemingly good looking block doesn't mean it has no unseen cracks. I know there is Magniflux, but wasn't sure that worked with aluminum blocks. Can if be sprayed with a product to reveal cracks after a thorough cleaning? Thanks!

where I work they check the forks on the towmotors with a Zep product that first a cleaner/primer is sprayed on then the product is sprayed on to reveal the cracks, I'll try to find out the name of it.

Bossvette,

I'd appreciate the name when you get the chance. Sounds like something that would do the trick!

Tim

Magnuflux, Met-L-Chek, and other manufacturers make a visible dye penetrant to check for defects in castings. I am in charge of non-destructive testing (i.e. x-ray, liquid penetrant inspection, ultra-sonic inspection) at an aluminum casting foundryand we use a flourescent penetrant system that involves a black light to detect the defects (cracks, etc.). The key to detecting discontinuities is proper cleaning of the specimen, then proper application of the penetrant. There are visible dye penetrant kits available with directions that are fairly reliable for crack detection if correct processing parameters are followed. See here:http://www.ndtsupply.com/shop/products.asp?rad_id=PT-MCKT-1001&keyword=Penetrant&str=s&id1=11&id2=100&id3=164

David,

Thanks for the great information and the link. I have ready a little about the process before, and they do agree that proper preparation and use is the key. Thanks again!

Tim

the stuff they use is made by magnaflux and is called spot check
SKL-SP1 is the penetrant
SKD-S2 is the developer

you clean the area with a spray cleaner simular to brake-kleen
then spray the penatrant and let it sit for 5-15 minutes then wipe off excess
then spray the developer which reveals any cracks

pretty much the same as the stuff in the previous post

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom