Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Checking in hood stripe or in the paint?

V

VetteObsessed

Which one is it? I've got the body shop telling me she's checked in the paint and they don't want to touch the stripe because the insurance won't cover them to repaint the hood. They all need to be replaced or they won't match I tell him. So now, I'm counting on all of you to help me out on this one, cuz I don't know for sure. I do have like 6 coats of Zaino on her, so maybe that's why they think that?????? HELP PLEASE!

More details on the damage, location of damage on the hood, and overall condition of the paint and body (fine details on any spider web cracking etc).

If I hear what you are saying, the body shop doesn't want to do this because if they can't match it the insurance company won't pay for it and will claim that it was poor work by the shop rather than accident related.

If it were me, I would take the car to several shops and see what they say. If none of them will paint it, claiming that it can't be matched then perhaps the insurance company either needs to be convinced to guarantee the work of the body shop if it doesn't match or that the whole hood needs to be redone.

Chris, you a claims guy also or one of those producers :eek

Bob

She was hit about a month ago in the drivers door area and the dog leg. He hit the tire, but not my wheel luckily. See earlier posts by me. I've had a guy from the 82 Registry that has taken brown shoe polish and filled in those little cracks and then put Zaino over it. You can't tell it's shoe polish. The body shop doesn't want to remove it, because if the checking IS in the paint, "his" (the guy that hit me) insurance won't pay to paint it. As you know, those new stripes won't match, and I show her as much as I can. I guess I'm lucky he didn't take out one of the wheels or I'd need 4 of those too! lol Now what do you guys think? She was a near perfect 20 year old CE before she was hit. I want her put back the way she was, with ALL her new stripes so they match, you know?

When you say "checking" in the paint, I'm assuming you mean imperfections that were filed in with a matching shoe polish and then a protective coat put over it. Is this a permanent repair or something that will have to be redone continuously? Is this recognized by the industry as an accetable repair?

Your pictures don't show any damage on the hood. Is this problem something to do with the removal and replacement of the stripes.

Generally, they only have to put you back in the same condition you were in before. By putting a full coat of paint on the hood, they will likely allege "betterment" or that you were placed in a better condition than you were before. They would then claim that you were responsible for a portion of the cost of the paint job, the "betterment".

I wouldn't speculate on this. I would get the information you need directly from the person making the decision. Have you talked with the insurance rep from the guy that hit you? What does he say about what he will and won't do?

If you are not clear on this, you are not the only one and I have been doing this for 20 years. Get some more information from the insurance guy and post what you find out, or if you will send me an email I'll send you my phone number and we can talk, and I can run it by a guy that works for me that is much better versed in auto PD claims.

Bottom line is I think you are going to end up negotiating with the guy and possibly paying for "betterment".

Bob

I own a body shop myself. In case you dont fully understand, 'betterment' is sort of like pro rated warranty. It means that if there was any damage or defects PRIOR to the accident, they will only pay a percentage or part of the cost to replace/repair it. This type of thing prevents someone with a rusted out POS from getting his car repaired to much better condition as a result of an accident. Its something thats going to have to be a 3 party negotiation. You, adjuster, body shop.

Send me a private email with more details on the insurance company involved, damage estimate amount, etc, and I will see what I can figure from that. I have learned the hard way it is best to keep these details off the open forums until a resolution can be reached.

Depending on the facts and circumstances, there may be a reasonable way to work this out.

chrisnikki@juno.com

what about diminished value

since its a collector ed. why can't you ask for diminished valve on the car .if it did n't have any damage history before u can claim that you will never be able to get what u could have for one that has not been hit. that may make up the differance in money to replace stripes , but didn't think you could get gm stripe anymore anyway. talk to a lawyer.

quick long and short of diminished value.

In most cases, it is a bogus invaluable argument because, it is only realized if the vehicle is actually sold, and sold for less than an otherwise "non" damaged condition. Trust me....I have seen too many liability situations where they people have been paid the loss in value, and either keep the car until it no longer matters, or sold it to another party for full price with no disclosure or qid pro quo discount for the amount of calculated loss in value.

There has been some rather bad for consumer litigation in the recent past making it a valid claim for not only liability situations, but also against your own company for comp and collision coverages. Those in GA know all about this. Hang on to your wallet folks, because you are going to see a HUGE HUGE HUGE raise in auto insurance premiums in states where this has become a valid argument.

It is in my opinion a valid argument on a vehicle that is for sale at the time of the loss with a legitimate asking retail value with a legally binding sales agreement. If the loss causes the buyer to back off from buying the repaired vehicle at the original price, and the seller decides to sell it anyway, you now have a 100% valid argument.

Otherwise, 99.9% of all vehicles made naturally depreciate, and if they are driven on the street they are expected to get dinged and bruised. I have a personal prejudice against those making dimished value claims on vehicles that are not classics, were not in the middle of sales agreements at the time of loss, and ANY claim made against the person's own policy under comp or collision.

Look at it this way (and I am not talking about the car we are discussing in this thread). If you have a 1999 Tahoe that gets hit and has a damage estimate of $6,200 for repairs. The vehicle gets fixed, you get paid say $1,200 in dimished value, then keep the vehicle until it it has 192,000 miles and it is ready for the scrap heap---does it really matter that it was ever wrecked? Was the $1,200 a legitimate loss that was = to some personal loss experienced in the value of a vehicle that you never attempted to sell at the time the diminished value was at $1,200?

Would you agree that diminished value on a 2002 Tahoe wrecked in 2002 is worth more than a 1997 Tahoe wrecked in 2002? I think you would because the value of the vehicles is significantly different.

Do you guys get the picture here? You need to become polictially active in your state and do what you can to get this kind of law overturned. It is bad law, and it is costing everybody more money. The lawyers that have been successfull in tricking the judge and jury to buy into this mess should be ashamed of themselves. Believe me though, with the MILLIONS of dollars they earned on winning these cases, they personally won't sweat paying a couple hunder more per year for insurance. Also, those that see some benefit from this retro active settlement will see very little money per policy. In some cases, these cars have already been sold for normal actual cash value with no diminished loss, yet the settlement entitles them to be paid. Go figure. Only in America, where we no longer fight battles by the sword, we just take each other to court and satisfy our need for greed.

Chris,

I agree with you but you have to live with the law that is given to you. If VetteObsessed can't get his car put back into the condition it was in before the accident, then I think he should have some type of claim against the insurance company, call it decrease in value, betterment, or whatever. I manage and handle claims for a living, as it appears that you do. I have been trained and agree with the philosophy of paying someone what they are owed. I know that there are alot of companies out there that don't and give the rest of us a bad reputations as they try to save pennies at other's expense. In this case, their is a component of damages that will be difficult to assess, though there, and the responsible party or their insurance company should not get the benefit.

They have had diminished value in Georgia on third party claims for as long as I have been here. The new decision relates to 1st party PD, basically expanding the reach of what was already a valid claim against someone that damaged you to a claim against your own insurance company. My insurance in Georgia just renewed, with no increase at this point. Who knows what the future will hold.

Let's face it. Insurance companies are everyones favorite target, with polls finding that people support the notion that inflating claims is just a part of the insurance companies business and that no one gets hurt. The truth is that fraud increases everyone's premium. As I recall the last study I saw the figure is by somewhere between 20 & 25%.

My 2 cents.

Bob

Darla's Destiny

I think that Destiny's driver side door and rear quarter panel were damaged. Not the hood.

But, she wants all of the stripes and paint to match (everywhere on the vehicle), since it would be very difficult to 'blend' 20+ year old paint with a new repair.

The main motivating factor, is that the 82CE's paint, shading and stripe combination is so complicated. It is not necessarily "one part" of the vehicle, but rather the "overall" look of the vehicle.

I think the 'little cracks' that were filled in with shoe polish needs to be clarified.
Cracks in the paint?
Cracks in the stripes?
Why does it matter?
Silver

value?

An 82 collectors cost what around 24,000 in 82. and have gone down in value , however they are on thier way up ;in value every year if in good condistion . a 82 ford or like car, what ever price have gone down in value and will continue to. never to return in value. there for if the state allows diminished value u should claim it .try and sell it for the same price of one that has not been hit. like u said insurance will go up in those states that have it ,so what its going to go up anyway. besides that u have been paying more for your 200 hp car anyways because it is a corvette its time to reep your rewards. you payed for it. george

Hey 78SilvAnniv, Thanks again for the shirt! You've got it right. She "was" an original car, with a few dings, but hey, the folks that owned her before just didn't park in the south 90 like I do. :) Anyhow, the guy put the shoe polish in the cracks in the stripe. From what I've known of these cars, the hood stripe usually goes first. 78SilvAnniv, Do "your" vettes stripes have the same problem????

The stripes are on their way from Ecklers. But....a friend emailed me and said that he got them, put them on, and they were terrible. Not very close to factory and that they are made at some graphics company out here in the west. So, I have to now tell the body shop to NOT put them on until I see them.

On the value of the car you guys, I'm not concerned with the value really because I don't plan on selling her. I'm attached, so I can't sell her. No way.....I just want her to match, stripes and paint, because I do try to show her at least a few times a year.

stripes

The stripes on 78 are not as pronounced as your CE. However, the hood's stripes (and the entire top of the vehicle) were showing major wear and oxidation. Cracks, too.
78 was painted last year, so now I don't have any problems!
Our paint shop masked and painted on ALL of the stripes, pinstriping and lower body color. No kit. Clear coat over all, and I am very happy with the results. I think they look better than original.
Good luck with Destiny! Glad you enjoy the t-shirt, Darla. ;) I'll be on the lookout for a 78SA t-shirt.
Heidi

comment:
I think the reason why the stripes tend to go first, is because they were put on last. With 78s new paint job, the stripes were painted on and clear coat x3 was painted on over everything, so there are no ridges between colors, as there would be with a stripe-kit.
h

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom