Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Chevrolet Announces New 2010 Corvette Grand Sport

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
FOR RELEASE: 2009-04-24

Chevrolet Announces New 2010 Corvette Grand Sport

attachment.php

<!-- This is the Relase Content --><STYLE type=text/css> <!-- .style1 { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: bold; font-size: 10pt; } .style2 { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: bold; } .style3 {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif} .style4 {font-size: 10px} .style5 {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } .style6 {font-size: 10} .style7 {font-size: 10pt} --> </STYLE>BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Grand Sport. It’s one of the most storied monikers in Corvette’s illustrious racing heritage and it is returning the lineup. Chevrolet announced the new, 2010 Corvette Grand Sport at the 12th annunal C5/C6 Corvette Birthday Bash, held at the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky.

The new Grand Sport model combines the Corvette’s LS3-based powertrain with unique, wide-body styling and a racetrack-bred suspension for a distinctive, starting grid-ready performer. It is offered in both coupe and convertible body styles, with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The LS3 6.2L engine is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system. An optional two-mode exhaust system elevates the power ratings to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm).

The Grand Sport replaces the Corvette’s previous Z51 package and brings a greater degree of handling performance, with wider wheels and tires; revised shock, stabilizer bar and spring specifications and specific gearing. The equipment enables cornering capability of 1.0 g, as well as a 0.2-second improvement in 0-60 acceleration vs. standard LS3-powered models.

Grand Sport coupe models equipped with the manual transmission are uniquely outfitted for racetrack competition, too, with a dry-sump oiling system, differential cooler and a rear-mounted battery.

The complete list of content and special features for the Grand Sport includes
  • Wider front and rear fenders – including specific front fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
  • Z06-style front splitter and tall rear spoiler
  • Functional brake ducts and extra cooling
  • Unique 18-inch front and 19-inch wheels; painted finish standard and chrome finish optional
  • Large 275/35ZR18 tires in front and 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
  • Z06-size brakes, including 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers
  • Specific manual transmission gear ratios
  • Specific rear axle ratio on automatic-equipped modles
With its special equipment, the Grand Sport offers a unique blend of performance and amenities. Its suspension package approaches that of the Z06, but includes a removable roof on coupes (Z06 has a fixed roof) and, of course, the availability of a convertible body style. Also, the paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmission is offered, while a manual transmission is the only choice with the Z06.

All of Corvette’s exterior colors are offered on the Grand Sport and an available Heritage package adds iconic front fender hash marks offered in four colors, as well as two-tone seats with Grand Sport embroidery. The Grand Sport can be ordered with 1LT, 2LT, 3LT and 4LT trim packages, too.

Grand Sport history
Envisioned by legendary Corvette engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov as a factory-built, lightweight and race-ready production model that would trump domestic and foreign road-racing competitors, the original Corvette Grand Sport was a promising idea stymied by GM’s agreement to stay out of manufacturer-backed motorsports.

The planned 125 production models required for racing-class homologation were never built, but five prototypes based on the styling of the 1963 Corvette were hand-assembled under Duntov’s watchful eye. And while they looked like production models, the prototypes were purpose-built racecars that shared little with their assembly-line cousins. Duntov also oversaw the Grand Sport engine program that featured a special, 377-cubic-inch small-block V-8 and used side-draft carburetors.

Although never officially sanctioned by General Motors, the five Grand Sport prototypes saw extensive racing experience throughout the 1960s in the hands of “private” racers who had strong contacts within Duntov’s engineering circle. All five original cars are accounted for today and are among the most valuable in the collector market.

Chevrolet offered a limited-edition Grand Sport production model in 1996, commemorating the original racing cars and marking the end of the C4 era in Corvette production. All of the 1,000 examples were painted Admiral Blue and featured a white center stripe and red “hash mark” graphics on the left front fender, a graphic scheme that mimicked the look of some of the original racecars.

*SAE certified.
SPECIFICATIONS

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=518 colSpan=2>Overview

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Models:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=358>Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Coupe and Convertible

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Body styles / driveline:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=358>two-door hatchback coupe with removable roof; rear-wheel drive (Coupe and Convertible)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Construction:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=358>composite body panels, hydroformed steel frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components (coupe);
composite and carbon-fiber body panels, hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components (Z06)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Manufacturing location:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=358>Bowling Green, Ky.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Engines
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>6.2L V-8 LS3

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Displacement (cu in / cc):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>376 / 6162

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Bore & stroke (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Block material:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>cast aluminum

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Cylinder head material:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>cast aluminum

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Valvetrain:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>overhead valve, two valves per cylinder

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Fuel delivery:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>SFI (sequential fuel injection)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Compression ratio:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>10.7:1

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Horsepower
(hp / kW @ rpm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>430 / 321 @ 5900* w/ std. exhaust
436 / 325 @ 5900* w/ opt. exhaust

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>424 / 575 @ 4600* w/ std. exhaust
428 / 580 @ 4600* w/ opt. exhaust

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>Recommended fuel:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>premium recommended not required

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=160>EPA estimated fuel economy (city / hwy):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=360>15 / 25 (automatic)
16 / 26 (manual)

Transmissions
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">Tremec six-speed manual

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">Hydra-Matc 6L80 six-speed paddle-shift automatic

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Application:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">std.

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">opt.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Gear ratios :)1)

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%"></TD><TD class=style5 width="36%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">First:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">2.97

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">4.03

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Second:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">2.07

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">2.36

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Third:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">1.43

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">1.53

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Fourth:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">1.00

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">1.15

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Fifth:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">0.71

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">0.85

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Sixth:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">0.56

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">0.67

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Reverse:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">3.28

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">3.06

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width="29%">Final drive ratio:

</TD><TD class=style5 width="33%">3.42

</TD><TD class=style5 width="36%">2.73

Chassis / Suspension
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=134>Front:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=386>short/long arm ( SLA) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper & lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorber

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=134>Rear:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=386>short/long arm ( SLA) double wishbone, cast aluminum upper & lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorber

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=134>Traction control:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=386>electronic traction control; Active Handling

Brakes
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Type:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>front and rear power-assisted disc with ABS with six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, cross-drilled rotors

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>front: 14 x 1.3 / 355 x 32
rear: 13.4 x 1 / 340 x 26

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Brake swept area
(sq in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>front: 309 / 1994
rear: 269 / 1735

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Wheels & Tires

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Wheel size:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>front: 18-inch x 9.5-inch
rear: 19-inch x 12-inch

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=136>Tires:

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=384>front: P275/35ZR18
rear: P325/30ZR19

Dimensions
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Wheelbase (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>105.7 / 2685

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Overall length (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>175.6 / 4460

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Overall width (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>75.9 / 1928

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Overall height (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>48.7 / 1236

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Curb weight (lb / kg):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>3311 / 1502 (Grand Sport Coupe)
3289 / 1492 (Grand Sport Convertible)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Weight distribution
(% front / rear):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>51 / 49

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Interior

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324></TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Seating capacity

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>2

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Interior volume (cu ft / L):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>52 / 1475

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Headroom (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>38 / 962

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Legroom (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>43 / 1092

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Shoulder room (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>55 / 1397

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=520 colSpan=2>Hip room (in / mm):

</TD><TD class=style5 vAlign=top width=324>54 / 1371

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width=520 colSpan=3>Capacities

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width=520>Cargo volume
(cu ft / L):

</TD><TD class=style5 width=384 colSpan=2>Coupe: 22 / 634
Convertible: 11 / 295 (top up); 7.5 / 212 (top down)

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width=520>Fuel tank (gal / L):

</TD><TD class=style5 width=384 colSpan=2>18 / 68.1

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=style5 width=520>Engine oil (qt / L):

</TD><TD class=style5 width=384 colSpan=2>5.5 / 5.2 (automatic transmission)
10.5 / 9.9 (manual transmission)

* SAE certified.
Note: Information shown is current at time of publication.

CONTACT(S):
Adam Denison
Chevrolet Commu nications
Phone: 313-665-5127
E-mail: adam.denison@gm.com

Move over Z06!.... The Grand Sport is HERE !!!

I like this BETTER than the Z06... It comes TOPLESS!!!!

The side gills look good too... And the wheels have a more exotic look to them.

Another Awesome Vette!!! ... I LIKE IT !!! :thumb

:beer
:Twist :dance :pat :BOW ;worship :Steer :v :drool: :J :blue:

gmnews.gif
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Does anyone notice the coupe weighs MORE than the convertible? Can that be right?

-Tatortot

this makes sense..........duh

Looks worthy of serious consideration.

A good move by Chevy...regardless of who made the decision to go this route...gotta have change to spur the interest of Corvette enthusiasts.

Is red really an option color for a Grand Sport? Isn't that a little sac-religious? I thought all Grand Sports were Blue...I could be mistaken...and if I am...I'm sure someone will correct me. :bash

My guess is that many of those (myself included) who dreamed of having a Z06 convertible now get their way (for the most part anyway). Still not a Z06 but damn nice looking and a convertible as well....HOW SWEET IS THAT!

:thumb

JMHO

remember when they could not sell the 2000 FRC so they turned it into the C-5 ZO-6 so they could use those roofs. i think they are doing the same thing now as the ZO-6s are not selling and they have to use up the parts they are committed to buy from the suppliers

Yep, "motorman", that's it!
GM introduced a new model Corvette because...they had extra roof panels.
:boogie

As for...

remember when they could not sell the 2000 FRC so they turned it into the C-5 ZO-6 so they could use those roofs.

My gut reaction is: that's one of the more ridiculous things I've read on the CAC in while, but...
:D
...I'm sometimes open to changing my opinions so, let me ask you: what's the source of that redic...(I'm sorry)....thought-provoking statement?

Cyber Grey Grand Sport!... Looks Great :thumb
attachment.php

Wow, now where did I put that darn drooling smiley? That is beautiful! Now if only we had some pics of the coupe version.

Is there any word on if this GS is a single year run, or if it is going to remain in production for a couple years?

:thumb Jason

Is red really an option color for a Grand Sport? Isn't that a little sac-religious? I thought all Grand Sports were Blue...I could be mistaken...and if I am...I'm sure someone will correct me. :bash
They were not all blue:
5GSs.jpg

(snip)

Is there any word on if this GS is a single year run, or if it is going to remain in production for a couple years?

:thumb Jason

Just asked Tadge Juechter, Corvette Chief Engineer that question. He says the GS is not a one year deal. The plan is it will be available as long as the C6 platform remains in production.

Sweet, thanks D. :upthumbs

It raises a couple questions though. First, the Grand Sport does not get the Michelin tires? I thought they were standard equipment starting last year. The PPT also says the Grand Sport is built on the same chassis as the Z06. Is it really built on an aluminum chassis?

Just asked Tadge Juechter, Corvette Chief Engineer that question. He says the GS is not a one year deal. The plan is it will be available as long as the C6 platform remains in production.

Sweet, that gives me a couple years to save up for one of my own!

:v Jason

I have always said that the C6 should have had the Z06 fenders. Without them I always felt the car was too boring of a body style for a vette. I am glad they finally did it. This will make for a real sharp convertible. :thumb Now if they could just add another 150 hp . ;LOL I guess I will just have to go to aftermarket or go Z06 for that. One CB GS please and can you just deliver that to ECS.

Sweet, thanks D. :upthumbs

It raises a couple questions though. First, the Grand Sport does not get the Michelin tires? I thought they were standard equipment starting last year. The PPT also says the Grand Sport is built on the same chassis as the Z06. Is it really built on an aluminum chassis?

Grand Sports do not have the aluminum chassis.

Not sure on the tires but I'll find out.

Ok...on the tires, they're Goodyear F1 Supercar EMTs.

So, to review the questions so far

One model year only....no
Aluminum frame....no
Michelin tires....no

I'll add that while the "bling" of the Grand Sport gains all the attention, the really interesting stuff for MY10 is not on the outside, it's underneath. The "launch control" feature, standard on all manuals, is quite interesting in function as is the new "PTM" (GM's name for an improved stability enhancement system) on ZR-1.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom