Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Chevrolet finds cause and solution for Corvette Z06 engine problem

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Chevrolet finds cause and solution for Corvette Z06 engine problem

By Gary Gastelu - Published August 21, 2015
Fox News

attachment.php

If you read my recent review of the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, you know it didn’t end well.

Oh, the car was a thrill. With 650 horsepower worth of stomach-churning acceleration, a top speed of over 200 mph and more lateral grip than a wall could provide, it was world class in all respects. Unfortunately, its monstrous, supercharged 6.2-liter V8 performed a dramatic act of self-immolation during some spirited laps at the racetrack.

And now we know why.

After bringing it back to Chevrolet HQ for inspection, the engineers determined that the likely cause was a piston connecting rod bearing that was damaged by debris in the oil that was left behind after tapping the threads for the oil filter. Once a piece gets jammed in there, it starts creating more debris, which keeps making things worse until finally … kablooey. In this case, it took out a few more pistons with it.

Several other engines built early in the production run exhibited similar problems, but Chevy is confident that it has solved the root issue. Nevertheless, it is now recommending that all Z06 owners change their oil after the 500-mile break-in period to make sure that it’s clear of any debris before any of it gets stirred up into the important parts during high-performance driving.

Full Story: Chevrolet finds cause and solution for Corvette Z06 engine problem | Fox News

Attachments

• z06-engine-oil.jpg
    z06-engine-oil.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 277
Oil and Filter change

I own a 2014 Premier Edition Vette convertible and it just turned 1000 miles. I took it into the local dealer who charged me $108 for the change. I asked why the charge and was told that the dealer can't do a free change till the oil life is down to 20%. That seems really strange since Chevrolet is saying to change the oil after just 500 miles. Did I get screwed??

yes

I own a 2014 Premier Edition Vette convertible and it just turned 1000 miles. I took it into the local dealer who charged me $108 for the change. I asked why the charge and was told that the dealer can't do a free change till the oil life is down to 20%. That seems really strange since Chevrolet is saying to change the oil after just 500 miles. Did I get screwed??
uhm, is your 2014 a Z06 or Z51 with dry sump?? That is what the oil change is all about - 2015+ Z06 and/or C7 Z51-equipped motors with dry sump

I'm back again

I traded my '14 Premier Edition in on a '16 Z06. Holy crap, what a car!! I've got the break-in miles in on it and it got it's first oil change. They tried to tell me that they couldn't do a free oil change because there was too much oil life and I told them BS. They changed it gratis. I'm thinking it's going to take me a year of driving till I can really drive this beast. I already pulled 1.10 G's in it. I've yet to floor it off the line yet, I'm sure it'll get sideways on me! It does ride a little hard even in Touring mode but that's what I would expect in a car that pulls the G's that this one can. So far I've cleaned house on a Porsche and a Hellcat. The Hellcat caught back up to me at a "round-about" so I hit the "round-about" a little hard. The Hellcat was right on my rear bumper and when we came out I had at least six or seven car lengths on him. H pulled up alongside of me and gave it the two thumbs up. Pretty sporting!

My selling dealership changed my break-in oil in my 2015 Z06 at 585 miles then again at 1804 miles then again at 2143 miles using 5-30 Mobil-1 oil. I was told regardless of percentage of the oil life monitor that I am entitled to 2 more oil and filter changes total of 5 any time I want. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom