Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chip or programming changes for extra horsepower

O

ozphoenix

Does anyone know of an after-market chip or computer enhancement that boosts performance on a C5? It would need to be something that can be added without taking the car to the supplier of the product (too much water between Australia and USA) but could be added by a qualified Corvette workshop with all the programming and computer goodies.

I would like to try to pick something up when visiting USA next month. I am already planning on picking up a Blackwing, but thought there might be some other (luggage portable) add-ons that might get me some extra grunt at the back end.

www.hypertech-inc.com

or

www.fastchip.com

Hypertech seems to be quite popular, but feedback is varied on their products. Some seem to think it makes a lot of difference while others don't think it does anything at all.

Oh, if someone hasn't already:

Welcome to the CAC, the best Corvette site on the web :w

Thanks for the feedback (and welcome message). A great forum and lots of good info, as well as dedicated fanatics (like us!)

Fastchip don't look like an option, as they want you to send them the computer out of your car. That's not really an option for me.

Hypertech look more interesting, as they have a plug-in programmer and lots of outlets, but I haven't been able to get a price anywhere, yet. Also, from the dyno curves they publish on their website, I'd have to agree that the performance improvement is not fantastic (about 5%-10%). Depending on the price, may not be worth it.

I'll do some more digging around, but would still welcome any feedback.

According to www.ecklers.com the LS1 chips are $329.99

I'm positive that some of our CAC guys here have the programmer and they could give you some real world feedback which would be more valuable than Hypertechs own feedback.

We'll just wait and see, the other guys will "chip" in.:L

Hypertec Programmer

I have installed the Hyper-Tech programmer on my 00 6-speed. I was interested on lowering the coolent temp. by making the fans come on sooner (in conjuction with the throttle body bypass.) In addition in Kansas I can get 92 octane gas so tweeked the computer for the higher octane rating. The programer will also let you change red line on you engine, odometer corredction for larger tires. The big benifit comes if you have a automatic the programmer will change shift points for better ET. You can select a indvidual mod or install the whole program. As far as seat of the pants feel, I did not notice any, however the engine is running 10-20 degrees cooler which works with the other mods (I to have a Blackwing air cleaner). Again for the 20 plus horse power gains the only true way is to dyno the car. Here you have a base line before you add mods on. I found West Coast vettes has the cheapest programmer at $319.00, if you are a National Corvette Association member they offer another 10% off. Good Luck!
v/r
THE YAV

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom