Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Choosing side pipes on 74 L48

naptownfireman

Corvette
1974 white, black interior
Ok, ive got a few questions. Will I lose power if I put side pipes on a 74 with the L48? Also, is hooker the best brand out there because it seems that is what most people have. How about these patriot pipes? They seem to be cheaper dollar wise. I had a guy tell me I would loose power at low end and tried to talk me into dummy pipes that look like hookers at the front but that just sounds really weak to me and dont think that is the way to go. What do you think? Keep me under $1300 please. :upthumbs

I can tell you a little about both the Hookers and the 69' style side pipes; I've had both. The Hookers are a great system, sound great and look good too. If you don't put covers on them you are going to burn your legs at least a couple of times. I currently are running the 69' style side pipes and love them. They can get a little noisy on a long drive, but that's what you get with the exhust coming out right next to the door.

Gary

Ok, ive got a few questions. Will I lose power if I put side pipes on a 74 with the L48? Also, is hooker the best brand out there because it seems that is what most people have. How about these patriot pipes? They seem to be cheaper dollar wise. I had a guy tell me I would loose power at low end and tried to talk me into dummy pipes that look like hookers at the front but that just sounds really weak to me and dont think that is the way to go. What do you think? Keep me under $1300 please. :upthumbs

If you want to listen to '69 style pipes... I have a video posted of my former 1980 Vette with side pipes.
GMPP_oustide_revs video by Johnny-s_Shark - Photobucket

Hey guys, you will probably lose torque with the Hookers only because that is what happens when you go to larger primaries. I don't know what you are running now. If it is the stock exhaust manifolds then it might improve your performance. The loss of power is usually comparing 1 5/8" to the 1 7/8" primaries of the Hookers.

I need to go to a few car shows or something. Im burned out on looking for exhaust. The stock style are nice, I LOVE the way the hooker pipes look. I also heard about Stahl too. I need to sleep on it. :bash

I've also run both Hooker and '69 factory side exhausts. I prefer the factory because they have a good Corvette sound and IMO are one of the best looking, bar none.

That being said however, if you ever have the occasion to run open exhaust, then the Hookers are the way to go.

I am also running the factory style side pipes. I have 2 1/2" pipes to hugger headers (which had to be connected at an exhuast shop) and I Love em. As stated before, they can be a bit tiring, noise wise, after a long drive but I feel thats most side pipe set ups. I cant tell you if I gained or lost power because I had just recieved the car back from a upper engine rebuild. I will post a video for ya tomorrow hopefully.

I remember an article in one of the Corvette mags once where they dyno tested the hooker pipes.The reverse flow mufflers(that go into the sidepipe) actually lost horsepower compared to the stock system but the glasspack inserts picked up some HP. They didn't try Spiral Baffles but i would assume they would flow better than the glasspacks.

Sometimes i hate Youtube,You go to look at one single thing and the next thing you know an hour has gone by. Am i the only one with this problem?

look at jet hot coating to buy the hooker system.

last time i checked they had a complete sterling coated hooker system for right at your 1300 dollar limit.

i have been looking into these myself so i have been doing quite a bit of research lately.

apparently the STS baffles creat the least amount of hp loss where in one reported case it was only 12 less than a totally open system. the glasspacks and hooker inserts created the most amount of loss.

i have read a few times that the factory style pipes were horrible for performance.

I also agree with the recommendation to get 'em from Jet-Hot. I just had 'em do a part for my motorcycle.

As for losing power, you didn't state what kind of power you were referring to, but yes, for all intents and purposes you'll lose bottom end power. And you likely won't notice any gain on the top end just because the engine is older and (assuming) still stock.

However! The placebo effect of having louder exhaust can certainly kick in and make the experience seem more than it is. You'll swear that your butt-dyno is showing an increase in power, but highly unlikely.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom