Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome Air Cleaner Lid Comments

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
A question on the NCRS Tech Forum about the air cleaner lid has me curious. An owner has an original car with a black painted lid. The guy that sold it to him said he never changed it and why would he? Some early magazine articles show a black lid. Of course these were probably pre-production cars supplied to the magazines for test prior to the car's release so they had time to get the articles published. It could be that the lid wasn't initially available. I have asked for the build date of the car in question but haven't heard back yet.

I wonder if there are any very early L81s out there with black lids. Anyone have one?

Tom

My l-81 was built in early Sept 1980,and I have a chrome lid.

The 1981 L81 engine came with a chrome lid and magnesium ribbed valve covers; the 1980 L48 had the black painted lid and blue painted valve covers.

I always thought that the L81 came with a black lid but most changed it to a chrome lid (as mine)?

Greetings Peter

I always thought that the L81 came with a black lid but most changed it to a chrome lid (as mine)?

Greetings Peter

Mine was one of the last 4 built in 1981 (last four digits 8989), mag. valve covers and black lid.

tcxd40

Note: chromed air cleaner cover was a 1981 feature:

1981 was the first year Corvettes were ever produced in two factories at one time. The new Bowling Green, Kentucky plant produced its first Corvette on June 1, 1981 while the St. Louis plant was producing its last Corvettes. The last St. Louis Vette was produced on August 1, 1981. All St. Louis Corvettes were painted with lacquer paints while the new Bowling Green plant had a brand new paint facility and used enamels with clear top coats. 1981 was the last year a manual transmission was available until late in 1984 with the C4. Automatic transmission Corvettes were equipped with a new fiberglass re-inforced rear mono-spring. This spring was 33 pounds lighter than the steel spring. Cars with the manual transmissions or the Gymkhana supsension package still received the steel spring. A new two-tone paint process was available for the first time from the Bowling Green factory. The computer command control which was used on the California Corvettes in 1980 was now standard on all Corvettes. The stainless steel exhaust mainfold from the California Vettes was also standard, it weighed 14 pounds less than the cast iron manifold and flowed better as well. A new chromed air cleaner cover was added to the engine compartment. California buyers could finally buy a manual Corvette this year. A quartz clock was now standard and a six-way power seat was optional. Electronic tuning radios could have an optional CB radio or an 8-track tape player. 1981 marks the first year that Corvette body style numbers were incorporated into the VINES

Last edited:
I think it was supposed to be VINs.

I have a black lid, but with all of the stuff I've found that doesn't surprise me. I always thought it was meant to be chrome.

So if I read correctly the st louis 81s should have a black lis and the bowling green 81s the chrome lid? :)

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

I think it was supposed to be VINs.

Body style codes have been in Corvette VINs for ages (37, 67, 87) and 81 was certainly not the first model year to use them. So I was curious what VINES might be and where the statement originated.
:)

Body style codes have been in Corvette VINs for ages (37, 67, 87) and 81 was certainly not the first model year to use them. So I was curious what VINES might be and where the statement originated.
:)

Copy/paste from here:

1981 Chevrolet Corvette C3 Production Statistics and Facts

except for the misspelling of VIN.

You are correct that the body style codes has long been as part of the VIN. No idea where the original author got his info.

So if I read correctly the st louis 81s should have a black lis and the bowling green 81s the chrome lid? :)

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Peter,

Not necessarily. My wife's is an early St. Louis car delivered to her with the chrome lid on Oct 20, 1980. She worked at the dealer where she ordered it and saw it come off the truck. I'm sticking with the supply theory. That lid stamping was used on other Chevy and maybe even other GM cars so I believe that the black lids were used when the supply of chrome lids ran out. There was probably a backup supply at the plant in case the stock of chromes ones ran out and the re-supply had not arrived yet. That would explain why black lids seemed to find there way on cars of various vin numbers. Being a one year only item I can see why they didn't have a large inventory of them, especially towards the end of '81 production.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom