Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome Alternator?

l81c3vette

Corvette
1981 L81
Im looking into replacing my alternator and want a chrome one. Is there anything on the factory alternator that says what amperage it is? The car has factory ac and all the options. Im not sure what amperage i need or if there is a such thing as too much amperage. I know that too little isint going to work for sure.
Any info on a part number, brand, supplier, or even which ones to avoid would be great. Im also thinking of a cover for the one that is there. It works fine, just an eyesore under the hood.
thanks in advance.

I figured it was probably a 70 amp but thought I would check with those of you who have had your vettes a while longer than me. Next issue is finding a chrome one that has the same style cases so my wiring will go back the way it is on the stock one.

I dont know if yours is the same as my 76, but i just bought the chrome case and put all my old parts inside. cheap and looks good enough to me.

Hi

I heard there is a certain danger in installing a much stronger Alternator because of the fusible links ( wires ) installed in the system.
Could burn them up if by any chance the 100 Amps or more are pulled.
A 60 Amp alternator just doesn't deliver more, so can't burn a 80 Amp fusible link.:upthumbs

I also have just the chrome casing. Keeps the good GM stuff, just has the cheap chrome Shell.:chuckle

Rgds. Günther

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom