Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome my wheels?

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
I can get a set of newly chromed wheels for my 88. It's an exchange for my originals. My total cost will be about $760. I am unsure if chromed factory originals would look good. Help me decide.

I don't know if you like the ZR1 style 5 spoke wheels, but you can get a new set of those (aftermarket)for around the same price, polished like chrome for an extra 100 or so... then you can always go back to stock if you want to... If you decide on chroming your wheels, it will be a lot of chrome... like a mirror, because they are so flat... I think it would look good, but I like chrome

Chrome

My 96 came with chromed 5 spoke ZR-1 wheels. At first I wanted the 'hurricane' factory wheels. But I have recieved soooo many compliments on the wheels, I'm stickin' with them. Besides the're growing on me!

hehe

I could make my own wheels, if my dads press would go past 15 inches,, sucks huh

short a few inches,,

i would make magnesium,, then, hehe

wtf

this message was suppose to go under chrome my wheels, thats wierd,, wonder what happend,,

server glicth or something

Sometimes if (well, all the time actually) when you go to add a reply, if you hit "New Topic" instead of "Post Reply" it will create a new thread rather than reply. Ive done that hella times.

Yes Shadowing, I'm sure that must suck being short a few inches! ;);):0

wait i miss understood my dad, i guess

its not the size of the tire it shte thickness thats the problem,, but he says he can do it bu the would have to build a special die,, majorly for it,, im thinking of building my own magnesiums wheel sin a years time

anyways i just got done chroming some stuff under my hood, and it looks really nice

why couldn't I just spray chrome on my wheels?

Paul - You asked for opinions, so here's mine...I don't think it will look good. In my opinion, few cars can carry off chrome rims without them making the car look cheap, and I've never cared for chromed rims on a white car. Polished 5 spokes on your car would look much better in my opinion.

Don't they only last about 3 years. Mine are starting to peel. Once chromed they can not be re chromed again.

Re: wait i miss understood my dad, i guess

Shadowing1985v said:
its not the size of the tire it shte thickness thats the problem,, but he says he can do it bu the would have to build a special die,, majorly for it,, im thinking of building my own magnesiums wheel sin a years time

anyways i just got done chroming some stuff under my hood, and it looks really nice

why couldn't I just spray chrome on my wheels?

Please show us some pictures. I like chrome goodies!!!

the '88 wheels would be to chromey lookin.. I have seen it and I like chrome too.

At best the 5 spoke chrome are good looking and not to chromey.

Polished wheels always look great on a C4

hehe

ok, frank what i did was took me 4 days im putting it back together today

i painted my valve covers black my runenrs black and my plemuium black,,

then my manifold and my fuel rials are chrome and my alternator is chrome, and i just took off my smog pump and now i my dad built me a puleey to sit on it to just free wheel

you can rechrome a wheel after u chrome it u just need to find a big enough sand blaster box, hehe

i and blasted my stuff before i sprayed it with chrome
i don't have a camera i need to get a digital one i will take shots of my engine it looks really sweet right now my L98

Go For It!!

I had an '88 that I replaced the original factory wheels with chromed factory wheels...they looked fantastic!!!! Yes, do it!!

GS Diva aka Elaine

I recently saw a white 88 coupe for sale that had chrome wheels. I didn't like it although I normally like chrome wheels. Didn't seem to go with the white. I've got a red 88 and I considered getting chrome rims but after seeing this one I decided against it.

My opinion anyway.

I know my picture here is hard to see, but I think the chrome plated rims on our 90 look awesome. To me, they make the car look really classy, and add that extra bit of gloss that makes it pop when it drives past you.

90racing.jpg

Tech%20Inspection%202-17.JPG

In all three pics here, the wheels are dirty. Maybe I will take some soon when they are clean!!

49.jpg

There are many companies that can do this. These were done by a group out in california. In fact, they repaired the left front a couple of years ago and rechromed it for us.

Thanks for all the replies. I tend to lean toward chrome wheels myself, but with this style wheel on a White car I am afraid chrome would just be too much. I'm thinking of just having mine polished. That looks really nice without having that ultra bright finish that chrome has.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom