Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chrome strips that go over valve covers

69_Dream

The vette's in the shop right now, getting some seals and gaskets changed. At the same time, since my valve covers were some "Insert Name Here" brand, I thought I'd swap them with original 427 chrome covers.

Now, the guy who's working on my car (very trustworthy btw) told me he installed the valve covers but I should have some chrome strips that fit over the covers. I said "Huh?" and got him to explain a bit more. He told me he remembers these cars coming with very hard strips of chrome (kinda like half moons almost) that sit atop the covers and fit between the valve covers and the bolts that retain the covers.

Now the reasoning is good. By torquing these bolts you could inadvertently warp the covers somewhat since you're not dealing with die-cast. I wouldn't call the stock 427 covers "flimsy" but they're more prone to waviness than a few other aftermarket I've seen.

So, to get back to my question... Was there ever this option or is my mechanic thinking about some other big block from something not even GM?

Sly, I don't have a bigblock in my 76 but I do have chrome valve covers and also the retainers you are talking about, you almost could them washers, they are tringle shaped and go under the bolt heads. They help keep the covers flat, I think you can get them at all the vette parts place's. PC

;LOL :beer

yes, they are used with most brand name and oem valve covers that are not cast.they keep the covers from distorting when tightened. the cast aluminum covers don't have these.

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I gotta get me some of those reinforcements.

I hope my local parts shop has them. Really like to have this car back on the road for May 1st. Starting to be pretty nice up here :D

Sly

i know what you mean 69. mine's still has no interior or paint,i'm hoping for june first. we're still cooler here on the east coast but that's nothing new.good luck with the vette. mike

Hey Mike

With no interior or paint, June 1st seems optimistic, but... I like your style! :_rock

What color you painting it? Staying original shade?

Sly

well, the startup is today,depending on wether it runs or not will determine if it sees the road in june.it should be fine but the motor was down to the block for the last year.should work though.the bodywork is down to sanding and replace the 2 bumpers and re-installing the doors, the bumpers are already off. the door bottoms and other problem areas are done .the interior is all ready to re-install but i have to buy all new screws,
the timeline seems tight, but if you figure two weeks for paint,and 2 weeks for interior,it's not too bad.the interior will be last ,so if it's painted and running and the seats are in, i can at least go for a spin.
the car will be bc/cc electron blue metallic pearl.the seats,console,and dash face ,and a piece on the door(where carpet is)are white.the rest of the interior is black.
i spent near 18 months on this baby(oh yeah, and about $11,000 in parts). i can't wait till i can walk out, fire her up and go for a cruise.mike

Now that you put it THAT way... :)

Assuming you can reassemble it and paint it in the next couple weeks, it should work out just fine. Hell Mike, the interior shouldn't really take more than a week. You see, I'm more afraid of the paint and bodywork, but that's just me.

Not exactly like I'm lazy ;) , but I tend to get distracted a lot. One week I'm totally into the vette, the next I'm rebuilding the deck, re-doing a roof, off to Vegas, whatever, you get my point :D

Oh... 1 last thing, I was hoping for a May 1st run... nope. I did get my bolt reinforcements from a small shop around here but it's the damn differential seal that was backorder. Maybe next weekend!

Keep us updated Mike, can't wait to see it painted and on the road. As it belongs.

Sly

i just finished the differential this week, new seals,gasket, u joints, shocks, brakes ,calipers, etc.lots of fun,easier going back in though.i still need to assemble the back brakes and put in 1 new line(flattened it out with the differential)my heart won't break if it's the second week of june,but i'll keep to the schedule till it's done or i drop the ball.
hope you get yours on the road soon,i'll post some pics when she's done.mike

she's gonna work

got everything ready to start the motor, when i cranked it at first to get the oil up the gas line leaked like stuck pig,gas everywhere, got her all cleaned up and replaced the old rubber lines,she wound over and almost started, then the battery went dead, it's gonna run , its just a matter of letting the battery get charged up,we'll see tomorrow. mike

You shouldn't have ANY rubber fuel lines between the pump and the carb - the original line was all steel, with flare fittings. If you have rubber lines, in-line glass filters, hose clamps, etc., you should trash them - they're a fire waiting to happen.
:beer

the carb is a holley 680 off a 68 mopar 440,the filters are shorter than the short q jet.and i have to order them in so i did the bubba job as not to make me wait to start the engine.i'll make up a new line once i buy a card full of filters .
on the same note, i just got in from the garage and SHE RUN'S yay!!!!:upthumbs

too excited i guess.the lines were the two lines from the tank,the feed and overflow lines to the fuel pump. sorry, mike:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom