Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Classic Chevrolet Sugarland Wrecked My Z06 and Don't w

cashs_mom

Corvette
2011 Cyber Gray 3LZ Z06
Classic Chevrolet Sugarland Wrecked My Z06

I took my year old Z06 with 6600 miles on it to Classic on June 9th to have some work done while I was at the car club meeting. I hadn't even left the service area yet and my service rep comes and says he needs to talk to me. So he takes me in the service manager's office and tells me that they wrecked my car It's only been there 5 minutes. It wasn't even enough time to get it on the lift! The guy that was moving the cars went to move it and his foot slipped off the clutch and he ran it into (or under in this case) the back of a suburban. It damaged the left front fender and the nose, some scuffing on the headlight.

Fast forward a few weeks, they fixed the car and it looks good. However, when I asked for diminished value they balked. I asked for $6500 in a parts and service credit. Their answer to not having to own up to the fact that they have damaged my car and lessened the value was to say "we'll get you a new one and it will only cost you $15,000". Wow, what a deal! They wreck my car and then want to make more money off of me by selling me a new car. My When I turned that down, they have offered me $5,000 in a service only credit to be used at a maximum of $1,000 a year for five years on the Z06 only. What would I want with that? How am I going to use $1,000 worth of service credit on a new car with an extended warranty? This is totally bogus. I"m going to be calling GM today. And my lawyer.

I think one of the things that really makes me mad is that thru all of this, I was very nice and never ripped anyone a new one. I guess it doesn't pay to be nice to dealerships.

I just want to warn people that if you are in the market for a new GM, I'd think twice about going to Classic Chevrolet in Sugarland. If they try to scam me, they'll try to scam you.

First...DO NOT call GM.

Contact your lawyer, first. From here on, let him/her do the talking for you--that's why you retain counsel.

Second...I'd have the lawyer pursue a settlement from the dealer. Those bastards ought to give you a new Z06.

Third...once you have your lawyer involved, I'd stay out of it. That dealer is going to be far more intimidated by a lawyer's letters or other contact than it will be by angry phone calls from a customer.

Fourth...take a deep breath and trust your legal help.

^
|
What Hib said.

This is not the first time that some dealer somewhere has accidentally damaged a customer's car. The fact that it's a Corvette and is your personal 'baby' is not really relevant from a legal point of view. You and a lawyer will need to prove what the diminished value is, if any, given the description provided. You might just end up spending more in time and trouble than you'll ever get back.

Joining a discussion board to trash a dealer will not work in your favour if things go to court.

Yeah that sounds like good advice to me......they need to make it right on your terms not theirs......

First...DO NOT call GM.

Contact your lawyer, first. From here on, let him/her do the talking for you--that's why you retain counsel.

Second...I'd have the lawyer pursue a settlement from the dealer. Those bastards ought to give you a new Z06.

Third...once you have your lawyer involved, I'd stay out of it. That dealer is going to be far more intimidated by a lawyer's letters or other contact than it will be by angry phone calls from a customer.

Fourth...take a deep breath and trust your legal help.

It's not every day that I agree with everything HIB says in a post, but he hit all the nails on the heads. Either forget about it or hire a bulldog personal injury lawyer that will take the case. I always recommend personal injury lawyers because they usually don't get paid unless they work hard and win. During my tenure at the 4th largest general jurisdiction court in the country, I saw that approach work, and every other plan fail. Also, try to get a sole practitioner instead of a large firm.

This is not the first time that some dealer somewhere has accidentally damaged a customer's car. The fact that it's a Corvette and is your personal 'baby' is not really relevant from a legal point of view. You and a lawyer will need to prove what the diminished value is, if any, given the description provided. You might just end up spending more in time and trouble than you'll ever get back.

Joining a discussion board to trash a dealer will not work in your favour if things go to court.

I agree and not sure if the diminished value will hold much credence. However, The dealership owner, not the GM or Service Manager should want to address this issue if he is a large corvette dealer. When I was a dealer you would have gotten the smoken deal of the century just for the goodwill and PR with the corvette club. Perhaps a phone call from your Attorney to the Dealer will take care of the problem. Good luck.

:beer
i10fwy

Its a one year old car with a new fender and nose? Or a repainted fender and nose?

How exactly is diminished value in this case determined?

Is the assumption that because of this repair the car is now worth $6500 less if / sold / traded in / totaled?

Diminished value on a car that has a positive CarFax is an absolute and not difficult to establish in a court, if it gets to that point. When I traded my last car, the dealer told me that a positive report hit the value at least two grand at his dealership, and can go up to eight to ten thousand, if the damage is extensive enough. I'm sure a good lawyer would get that kind of testimony, if it came down to a court case.

I understand that establishing an accident in the past will diminish a cars resale value.

Just wondering how the amount is calculated.

I don't think it's a calculation per se. It's more of an assessment based on a dealer's experience. Maybe Elaine can comment. She must see this situation routinely.

I would think that a "hit" on Carfax or some other reporting service would diminish the value, no matter how insignificant the damage. Right, wrong or indifferent. I would have to agree with Hib in this case as well, but I would also take Catbert's advice and get a personal injury lawyer for the reasons he makes.

Good luck with the pursuing of this matter.

BTW welcome to CAC. Sorry that your first post is one that is a warning. Please take the time to introduce yourself in another thread, so we can learn a little about you and your involvement/love of Corvettes.

:w

I'm gonna bet that the collision was automatically reported.

Worse, there are some states which are starting to require just about any collision repair other than a mild "fender bender" causes the car's title to be listed as salvaged which, of course, is the kiss of death to resale value.

I'm with "Catbert"....diminished value would be easily quantified and relatively easy to prove in court.

Hopefully, the right lawyer can convince the dealer to settle out of court.

You'll have a hard time getting a personal injury lawyer of any repute to want to get interested in this case. They get a percentage of what is recovered. 33% - 40% of $5,000 to $10,000 is peanuts to these guys.

Keep pushing the dealer. If he won't take care of you, confirm that your state recognizes diminished value as a component of damages, take the car to several reputable places and have them appraise the car with and without the accident. The difference is diminished value, which should then be easy to prove in small claims court.

What with all the legaleze and pain in the butt of having to deal with "diminished value" (If it's allowed in the OP's State, I would have taken the "New car for $15,000" Alex.)
Having only $15,000 in a new C6 Corvette mean you stand to make $35,000 to $40,000 by selling it. These are numbers you WON'T see from your attorney (especially after their "cut.")

Yup, I'd have taken the new Corvette for $15K. I might even have held a raffle for Rady Children's Hospital with it. Or maybe some other reputable charity. Something like $35 per chance or so.
I see a win-win here.

Hey where did the OP go?

1 post and they're gone? Sheesh!:ugh

(snip)
I see a win-win here.

Hey where did the OP go?

1 post and they're gone? Sheesh!:ugh

Indeed.
He came in here all pissed. A bunch of people step up to feel his pain and offer advice and then he never updates us.

Sometimes we just can get any respect.
:D

Threads do develop a life of their own for sure. :L

Sorry, I haven't been back. I've been a bit busy and more than a bit distracted by all of this.

There are people that specialize in determining diminished value. I know of a couple here in Houston. If anyone wants that info shoot me a pm.

The lawyer I am using is a trial/criminal lawyer and someone I've known for a while. A letter has been sent to Classic and we'll go from there. I'll update when there's anything to tell. They have 60 days to respond to the letter.

And, Hib, Cashs_mom is a she. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom