Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Cleaning aluminum wheels:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
Hello, ;help

I'm new and still trying to figure my way around. I just bought my Vette and the factory wheels are really dirty/oxidation. I tried some cleaner from Mothers's, but its not doing a very good job, plus it's very slow.
Can anyone recommend something that they have used?
Thanks for anyone's help.

Glenn

:)

Welcome to the forum 401KVet :w. If you want to see some nice polished wheels and what to use....go to the L81 Vette registry forum at the top :thumb

Thanks for the advice.
Another question: Does the wheels on a 81 have the clearcoat on them as do the later models? If so, I think I will have to remove the clearcoat to get a good shine.

Elbow grease and time (PLENTY OF BOTH).
I purchased a polishing kit from a hardware store,
(you use an electric drill) it comes with polishing wheels
and 2 kinds of polishing paste/wax (fine & very fine: there are many different grades -I'm using BLUE for alloy ).
Can be very time consuming & DIRTY work BUT the results are worth it,
If like me your on a budget/tightass then go for it but if
they're real bad try a professional.
Just my 2 cents.
CHEERS
Gav

My '81 has the clearcoat on it, or had it :thumb. There are many ways of polishing those aluminum wheels, but the best way is the hardest way....start rubbing :eek:hnoes. Once you have them all polished up, just put a nice coat of wax on them, and the shine will last longer :thumb. Good Luck!

I guess mine has the clearcoat also. Do you think I should remove it?

I eventually ended up taking mine to a pro outfit, cost me around $30 per wheel including a powder baked clear coat and some rim nicks repaired.

Hood adjustment needed.

;helpI have noticed that the hood in the front where it comes to a point in the middle, down by the headlights is about a 1/4 of a inch lower than it should be.
Can anyone explain to me what type of adjustment is needed and what needs to be adjusted.
If not, I may take it by a body shop one day next week and let them look at it.

Thanks to all,:)

I agree, remove the clearcoat!! When I had my C3, I took a wheel off the car, laid it down on the garage floor and carefully wiped it down with lacquer thinner. It may sound crazy, but it worked. Like I said, if you decide to go this route, just be carefull of the painted slots. Once the clearcoat is off, they came up really nice when polished.

Removing the clearcoat first right?
I am a dummy at this.
Thanks,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom