Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CLEANING THE ALUMINUM PLENUM ON C4?

tls630

Corvette
69 roadster 88roadster
I have some blackmarks that look like dirty hand prints on the plenum and some oil stains on the valve covers. I have tried brake clean but it does not work very well. How can I clean it to look like new again? Any ideas will be appreciated. TLS630

I will try it. I tried spraying carb cleaner on it yesterday and brushing it with a stiff brush. It did not work either.TLS

Brake cleaner should be more than enough.

Veteboy
I have tried brake clean and it does not touch the stains. I read in the NCRS judging guide that the intake is painted aluminum colored paint. It does not look painted to me, but if it is I geuss I could just repaint it.I don't know what the stains are now, I thought it to be oil, but now I don't know. Thanks for the help. TLS630

i used simple green too, and a non metal brush! some how it did it for most of the stains on mine.

I've found simple green to work also, but it requires a lot of scrubbing and probably depends on what the stain is.

I have some cleaner made by Puritan Chemical Co. called Hi-Ack, which is an industrial metal cleaner. I mix about 10 Oz. with 1 Gal. of water, and apply it with a toothbrush.
It is an extremely alkyline sulution and will etch the oxides and stains down to the base metal, and leave a brand new metal finish that looks a little on the white side. Then a water rinse takes it off.
Nasty stuff, but works fast, you can see it fizzing on the surface of the aluminum. Comparable to having the manifold hot-tanked.

Thanks guy's for all the help. It is really appreciated. TLS

wishuwerehere82 said:
I have some cleaner made by Puritan Chemical Co. called Hi-Ack, which is an industrial metal cleaner.

Where do you get that stuff? Someone has "cleaned" my intake sometime in the past and left it splotchy. I would like to give this a try.

Brett

1995 RedVette said:
Where do you get that stuff? Someone has "cleaned" my intake sometime in the past and left it splotchy. I would like to give this a try.

Brett
I got mine from
Zimmer Sales & Services Corp
(585) 342-0363
[SIZE=-1]1203 Hudson Ave[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rochester, NY 14621[/SIZE]
Ask for Paul Zimmer or Mike.
Tell him Noah with the red Corvette sent you.:D He'll know who you mean.

I used Etching Mag Wheel cleaner, spray it on and let it bubble for a minute then wipe it off.

Mine came up easy and great looking.

Mart

BTW nothing is painted up there. NCRS is wrong if that's what they say.

Mart said:
I used Etching Mag Wheel cleaner, spray it on and let it bubble for a minute then wipe it off.

Mine came up easy and great looking.

Mart

BTW nothing is painted up there. NCRS is wrong if that's what they say.
This is what I use on all rough cast aluminum,trust me you will be very pleased.

What do you use on the half shafts ,drive shaft and A frames?

paintdaddy said:
same thing.Use it after it is installed though.If you do it before you will just end up getting more greasy finger prints on it,Like your toolbox:D

Don't get me started about those fingerprints on my box....:W

I tried the simple green with a stiff bristle brass brush and a little elbow grease and it came out great.It really look's good. I thought that the brake clean would work but it didn't .Thanks to everyone that replied. TLS630

paintdaddy said:
This is what I use on all rough cast aluminum,trust me you will be very pleased.

Will this work on Valve Covers also?

Thanks

paintdaddy said:
How do you think it'd work on my valve covers? I suppose I'd also have to use a toothbrush to make sure it gets in the grooves.
Please let me know if anyone's ever used this stuff on valve covers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom