Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Clear Bra

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

JJS

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
I'm sure this thread has been done to death but I couldn't quickly find anything on it and I'd appreciate everyone's inputs.

If you were buying a new GS, would you put the clear bra on, and if so, would you do the front end, mirrors, and the top of the roof?

Just wondering - would you put a wax job on it prior to having the clear bra installed?

Does the coloring stay uniform (UV/acid rain exposure) as the car ages?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-JS

I'm sure this thread has been done to death but I couldn't quickly find anything on it and I'd appreciate everyone's inputs.

If you were buying a new GS, would you put the clear bra on, and if so, would you do the front end, mirrors, and the top of the roof?

Just wondering - would you put a wax job on it prior to having the clear bra installed?

Does the coloring stay uniform (UV/acid rain exposure) as the car ages?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-JS

I have paint protection film (which many call a "clear bra") on the front ends and side mirrors of three of our four Vettes. If you pay for a top-notch installer and specify genuine 3M Scotchcal PPF, the stuff if very durable and will not change colors as it ages. My 95 still has the PPF I installed in 2003 and it's in good condition.

On white cars, the PPF darkens the paint very slightly.

Do not wax the car before PPF is installed. In fact, you may want to strip the wax off before you have it applied.

If I was buying a new GS, I'd put it on the front end, the fronts of the sideview mirrors, the lower parts of the front fenders and on the rear fenders behind the tires. As for the front of the roof, I've never seen a die-cut pattern for that, but a really good PPF installer could do a custom installation on the roof's leading edge.

Not sure where you are, but if you're in the Los Angeles area, one of the better PPF installers is Transhine Auto Detailing in Whittier CA.

Thanks for your detailed response Hib. I live in MA and I'm still not sure if I'll be making a purchase yet, but it very well could happen.
I would definitely go with the "3M" product, and you made a very good point about the rear fenders. I had some dings on my LT-1 from the
wide tires that were on the car when I bought it. I had them replaced shortly after the purchase. Thanks for the reminder.

-John

You're welcome.
Glad to be of service.

Hope you get the new GS.:thumb

I have a 2010 GS and had a clear bra installed right after delivery. I had it installed on the front end, 1/4 way up on the hood, the lights, mirrors, the rocker panels and the area behind the front wheels. The stuff is great. Matter of fact I skinned a high curb a few months ago. The 3M clear bra took 100% of the scrape with no damage to the paint.

It is easy to install, but find an installer that does high end cars. I believe I paid $1200 for the installation, but bugs and stones are no match for the product.

Rich
Aiken, SC:)

Thanks Rich. I got a quote of just under $1,000 and am having it done this weekend.

I went to a fairly local dealership looking at new cars this past weekend, and they told me it would be "about" $1K (maybe less) for the same application - although they told me it would also include the headlights. This dealership did not use "3M," they had a German company named "Autobahn" do the installation. I was told the "3M" stuff fades more easily than the the AutoBahn application.

I went to a fairly local dealership looking at new cars this past weekend, and they told me it would be "about" $1K (maybe less) for the same application - although they told me it would also include the headlights. This dealership did not use "3M," they had a German company named "Autobahn" do the installation. I was told the "3M" stuff fades more easily than the the AutoBahn application.

I'd pass on that dealership's offer. They are likely blowing "smoke" up your you-know-what.

First the 3M "stuff" does not "fade." It can't "fade" as it is colorless. As for durability, I have 3M Scotchcal Paint Protective Film on a 95 Coupe. It was installed in 2003. It doesn't seem to have changed much in the decade it's been on the car.

Buyer beware when looking for clear bras. There are a multitude of Scotchcal "imitators" out there which car dealers and low-end installers looking for a quick buck love because the lesser quality films are easier (and, thus, cheaper) to install. They can charge the customer a grand for 200 bucks worth of film and quick install time.

If you're going to spend 1000 bucks for PPF, do yourself a favor and buy 3M Scotchcal from a 3M-trained installer not the car dealer who sells you the car.

i had mine done shortly after purchasing, didn't drive it much until it was done, got the front bumper + 1/4 hood, headlights, rocker panels and rear view mirrors for just over $700. Have to say they did great, i go over it with a fine comb every week after a wash, being a centennial not taking any chances with the paint job.

Waxing with clear bra

Any recommendations on how to avoid wax build-up on clear bra "line"? I have taped my vette prior to wax, but this is a hassle. I have heard that speed shine on the "line" after waxing works well. I have waxed over the entire mask without a problem but also hear that this can cause wax build-up and eventually have negative results. Any information will be helpful.

The best for clear bra is just water and mild soap. As far as the line is concerned, i always try to wipe away from the line. the area closest to the edge, is difficult, every once in a while you will have to just clean the buildup. i use the spray on types for most stuff, not a lot of buildup but eventually using the claybar only with soapy water to remove any buildup. the spray on types, do not leave a lot of buildup at all, but i find the claybay with warm soapy water works best to remove buildup.

When I had the bra put on the ZR1, we did the whole front end to front of the doors, the mirriors, behind the doors from the fuel door down, the side skirts and the front splitter.

He cleans the car first with Dawn Dish Soap.

He covered the headlights, lower lights and the hood window.

He said he has only done the coating on the roof of three ZR1 cars because the owners wanted it done. He doesn't ever see need for a roof protection against chips - sliding grocery bags across the roof or convertible trunk is a different story.

I have had Roadblock "Autobahnd" applied to my 2005 convertible, the 2008 Z06 and now the 2011 Grand Sport. Would have it on any and all Corvettes. Great product which saves the whole front end from quickly becoming chipped and scratched. Had it done at Corvette Mike's in Plymouth for $695.

Elaine

Had it done on my 2013 Grand Sport. Automotive Appearance Pros in Columbus, Ohio did mine for $800. Had it applied to the bumper, bikini cut on hood and the front portion of both fenders. AAP uses Avery-Dennison products which seem to be almost bullet proof. As Hib mentioned, my car being white, does exhibit a very slight yellowish cast, but is not objectionable. Most people do not notice it unless I tell them. Very happy with the product.

Aap

Glad you are happy with their work. My 2013 Callaway 60th vert. arrives this week and will be going directly there for the clr bra treatment. They did one other 60th recently and it looked good. :beer

Autobahnd

When I had the bra put on the ZR1, we did the whole front end to front of the doors, the mirriors, behind the doors from the fuel door down, the side skirts and the front splitter.

He cleans the car first with Dawn Dish Soap.

He covered the headlights, lower lights and the hood window.

He said he has only done the coating on the roof of three ZR1 cars because the owners wanted it done. He doesn't ever see need for a roof protection against chips - sliding grocery bags across the roof or convertible trunk is a different story.

When I purchased my 2012 GS coupe, the dealership offered to put Autobahnd ROADBLOCK on the front end (including headlights), part of the hood, side mirrors, and leading edges of the rear fender skirts. They showed me cars in the showroom that had this and then showed me the warranty that went with it. I was concerned with it being obvious that something was applied to the car, but on crystal red, the lines are barely noticeable unless you know what to look for. The car have over 5K miles on it and there are no paint chips missing from any of these areas. I am very happy with the product and the professional installation. I have not yet seen any yellowing or difference in color between what has been covered and what has not.

3M installed by GM Junkie on my C6 back in 08 when car was new .Great job ,no yellowing ,no flaws and I think I paid under $500 .

You may have already moved forward with getting the clear bra "Clear Coat" I have a 2011 GS Convertible and had a great NCM delivery in April '11. The museum installed the clear coat all across the front facia (not on head lights) but through the GS stripes. Also put it on back of side view mirrors. The coat goes nearly 1/3 the way up the hood. Can't see it until you are on top of the car and looking closely. I wax right over it. No issues at all for 14,000 miles. Looks great with JSB and Pearl White Stripes..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom