Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Clock & Radio

Gary68

Corvette
1968 Coupe
I am restoring a 1968 Corvette. The clock doesn't work anymore and the radio has something wrong. I know about the quartz replacements for the clock but can't find anyone local or not that does this. And the radio, I need this refurbished or is there a replacement that like accepts cd's that will fit in the space. I know they are around. I do want the original radio repaired.

Gary

Your clock may only need to be cleaned. I cleaned my original, ran a separate ground wire to it, and it has been running ever since.

You can also have your original clock repaired/restored by the pros.

The quartz conversion is not difficult to do; i put one in my 74. The quartz sweeps differently than the original, so if you intend to have the car judged you will lose points.

68-76 Corvette radios are two part units; they require separate final audio outputs in what GM calls a convector assembly. You have to have both pieces.

Mono unit
100_1278.jpg

Stereo
29cbcwm-1.jpg

Stock radios can also be rebuilt.

If you are considering an aftermarket replacement radio, my advice would be to ensure it will fit your one-year-only 68 bezel without cutting. CD players will not fit the stock bezel.

:thumb

I just had my original radio restored by Vintage Auto Radio services.They take your original radio and put new modern electronics in it as well as an I-pod cord. It's a little pricey a $375.00. I'm supposed to get the radio back this week. I'll post a new thread and let everyone know how it turned out.

I just installed my radio yesterday(another P.I.T.A.). It sounds fantastic.My little $20 MP3 player works perfect through it and I can hide the cord when not in use. I paid $75 extra to have RCA outputs added on the back as in the future I plan to add a small Bazooka bass tube back there. Here's a picture of the back of the radio.
Corvetteradioradiator003.jpg

Gary, I have my original 1970 bezel for sale in the "parts for sale" section. It won't be cosmetically like your 68 but should fit fine and its already cut for a modern CD player.

68 Radio

Your clock may only need to be cleaned. I cleaned my original, ran a separate ground wire to it, and it has been running ever since.

The quartz conversion is not difficult to do; i put one in my 74. The quartz sweeps differently than the original, so if you intend to have the car judged you will lose points.

68-76 Corvette radios are two part units; they require separate final audio outputs in what GM calls a convector assembly. You have to have both pieces.

Mono unit
100_1278.jpg

Stereo
29cbcwm-1.jpg

If you are considering an aftermarket replacement radio, my advice would be to ensure it will fit your one-year-only 68 bezel without cutting. CD players will not fit the stock bezel.

Do you know of any sites that will rebuild a 68 radio? Most sites I have found rebuild 69+ but not a 68.

...Most sites I have found rebuild 69+ but not a 68...

That's odd. 68-76 use essentially the same radio. You might want to ask the rebuilder why they do not choose to rebuild the 68 units. Do you have the NCRS Driveline? There are several rebuilders offering services in the Driveline.

My 72 has the optional stereo FM radio, as opposed to mono FM. There is a third item besides the mono radio, as shown, and the transistor/heat sink. There is a steel box, similiar to the radio, but no dial and it's smaller. It is the stereo amplifier for the other channel. It is behind the passenger side map pannel, just under the top of the dash.

My suggestion is to save or rebuild your original. They are getting harder to find. You can always put a bolt in replacement. There are Corvette aftermarket radios that will bolt in and look good. Some people just leave the old one in and put in a hidden stereo with a remote.

Good luck!

radio / clock

Mono unit
100_1278.jpg

Stereo
29cbcwm-1.jpg

Hey guys
i dont mean to hijack the thread, can someone explain the process for cleaning the clock and running a separate ground wire. I'm not great on the electric part. thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom