Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clock Repair

C

clint4vette

One of the last things left to do; I noticed my clock doesn't work.
Can someone recomend a quality clock repair business? I'm looking to keep the car original. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do a quick search for the procedure but there is a good chance the contact points just need to be cleaned. I tried to do it on mine but one of my little springs was bad. It's not that hard of a job.

4WDVETTE said:
Also, you can get new parts, including a quartz upgrade, and do it yourself.

Steve

Steve,

The clock rebuilders bought up all the quartz kits a few years ago, and most all of them will no longer sell the kits to home builder. They would now prefer to do the labor labor themselves and charge you accordingly.

Stepinwolf

Jeff Farrar said:
Do a quick search for the procedure but there is a good chance the contact points just need to be cleaned. I tried to do it on mine but one of my little springs was bad. It's not that hard of a job.

Great, I did a search for Clock Repair. It brought me to a thread where someone sent off a clock to "The Clock Works" in Wisconsin. I went to the site and filled in data for a quote. Basic price was $39.00 and went up from there. 24hour turn around time. Mine needs the hands freshened up, they are fadded. A new lenz to clear things up and the bezel will need some new dull silver paint. And, the clock doesn't work. If you giggle the time set dial, it will take off momentarily, then stop.
I'm courious what the quote will come back as. Has anyone used this company?
Clint

Clockworks is king!!! They are the best value out there in clock repair, and offer good turnaround times. Avoid Clocks by Roger like the plague! JMHO

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Clockworks is king!!! They are the best value out there in clock repair, and offer good turnaround times. Avoid Clocks by Roger like the plague! JMHO

Regards, John McGraw

John,

People like " Roger " or " JT " are not necessarily over priced, it's just that the pricing they are using today, reflects what the cost of Corvette parts will be, in twenty years or so, kind'a like being ahead of their time. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

stepinwolf said:
John,

People like " Roger " or " JT " are not necessarily over priced, it's just that the pricing they are using today, reflects what the cost of Corvette parts will be, in twenty years or so, kind'a like being ahead of their time. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

Bob,

My comments on Clocks by Roger has nothing to due with his pricing, but rather with his customer service, or lack thereof.

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:

Regards, John McGraw

John, You got that right!
I recieved a reply last night from Clock Works. $39.95 to go through mine and put a 12 month warrenty on it. They also have NOS internals. For $119 they will install NOS guts and warrenty it for 18 months.
I'm going the latter route and putting in a new lenz and they will re-paint the arms floresent. ALL with a 24 hour turn around.

I am greatly appreciative for the information, thank you!

clint4vette said:
Great, I did a search for Clock Repair. It brought me to a thread where someone sent off a clock to "The Clock Works" in Wisconsin. I went to the site and filled in data for a quote. Basic price was $39.00 and went up from there. 24hour turn around time. Mine needs the hands freshened up, they are fadded. A new lenz to clear things up and the bezel will need some new dull silver paint. And, the clock doesn't work. If you giggle the time set dial, it will take off momentarily, then stop.
I'm courious what the quote will come back as. Has anyone used this company?
Clint

That's the same thing with mine. If I flick the time set dial it will run for a few minutes. Is there something one can look at, or is it like brain surgery (leave it to the experts)? :confused

Ronald,

Most of the problems associated with these colcks are centered around the contacts that fire the winding solenoid. As the clock unwinds, the points close and fire the solenoid, winding the spring. This process is repeated every 2 or 3 minutes. If you are a person who is inclined to do such work, it is not rocket science, and is within the abilities of a lot of garage mechanics. You just need to sand the points with some fine sandpaper to clean them and allow the points to make good contact. If you are not inclined to do such delicate work, then ColckWorks is pretty hard to beat! I do my own clocks for the most part, but there are those that are in need of more than a simple contact cleaning, and those I will send out.

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:

Regards, John McGraw

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!
They still have NOS Borg mechanical movements to install and then return your old movemant to you with the clock

Don

John Mcgraw said:
Ronald,

Most of the problems associated with these colcks are centered around the contacts that fire the winding solenoid. As the clock unwinds, the points close and fire the solenoid, winding the spring. This process is repeated every 2 or 3 minutes. If you are a person who is inclined to do such work, it is not rocket science, and is within the abilities of a lot of garage mechanics. You just need to sand the points with some fine sandpaper to clean them and allow the points to make good contact. If you are not inclined to do such delicate work, then ColckWorks is pretty hard to beat! I do my own clocks for the most part, but there are those that are in need of more than a simple contact cleaning, and those I will send out.

Regards, John McGraw

John is "spot on" here. Here are some pics that might help you out.

Clock1.JPG

Clock2.JPG

Clock3.JPG

Clock4.JPG

Good luck.

DZ

Wow, now that was impressive! Thanks!
I brought my clock in to work send out to Wisconsin,,,, I almost have second thoughts about sending it. I have installed new everything on my car in this recent restoration. I think I'll go ahead with the clock and follow through. THis way I can mentaly set the odomiter at zero for every component and (some pun intended) let the clock start ticking for age progression!
I want to make sure I ask for my old parts back. I want to experiment with it as in the pictures above.
Clint

Dave,
Great pics, that really shows even the novice how to do it.
Pretty smart fellow for an Aggie! LOL

Regards, John McGraw

This is great! I love a little project (within my leaque). I'll give it a try. Learn something new every day. Thanks a lot. :w

John Mcgraw said:
Dave,
Great pics, that really shows even the novice how to do it.
Pretty smart fellow for an Aggie! LOL

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John! I've been teaching Aggies for 28 years now. Not bad for a kid from N.J.!
I see you live in that town where that other university is located! :)
Hope we get a chance to meet over some vettes someday. Waco maybe?

Gig 'em!:upthumbs

Dave Z

Dave,
I usually try and make Waco, and of course, I am going to Nationals in San Antonio this year. Even though I don't have an original car in my garage right now, I will drive my 59 resto-rod down there and have a blast.

Hook 'em Horns!

Regards, John McGraw

Hickory dickory dock... thanks to Dave I have a clock :upthumbs

Dave,

It works like a charm. Your posting was super helpful! I would certainly encourage anyone who has a clock that is not working to give this a try. It was a real simple procedure.

There's just something about everything working that makes my day! And now, I even have more coin in my pocket to buy important things... like gas :cool

Thanks again.:w

Ron

Ron

Glad that worked out for you! Hope it keeps on tickin' for a long time!

Dave Z

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom