Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cluster removal pictures

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
The hardest thing to face is taking my car off the road. It is winter and time to finish my restoration in preparation for this summer's great adventure trip.

My cluster was installed before the paint job and the result was a cluster full of dust on lenses.

Here some pictures of the removal of cluster.

Fist , remove driver seat for room to work, take out steering wheel and column all in one piece

Very easy, just unbolt steering buckle, clutch spring, firewall cover of column and all 4 bolts that hold column under dash. Also unplug turn signal and horn wires

ClusterCleaning014.jpg

ClusterCleaning011.jpg

Next put long bolts in dash to allow extension of cluster to remove lights and plugs , air vent lines and oil gauge

Also unscrew tachometer at distributor so cable can be extended as you pull out cluster

You can then reach up and unscrew speedo cable and tach cable from cluster , also unscrew trip cable , but leave in dash support so that you can just screw back in later.

Newharnesswithextendedlightwires004.jpg

Slide out cluster and unplug everything

Newharnesswithextendedlightwires007.jpg

ClusterCleaning007.jpg

I have labeled the back of my cluster so that when I am upside down, I know where all plugs and wires go

My cluster has a lot of war wounds, ( Sun speedometer put in 1972 patched up hole in back of cluster)

ClusterCleaning002.jpg

Speedo out first, clean lens and dial and put back in , remove small gauges , clean and put back in

ClusterCleaning005.jpg

To put back in , long bolts to support cluster and plug everything back in , you will notice my harness has long wires, I added 4 inches to all wires on new harness so that I would have room to move cluster in and out and be able to reach up and plug in wires

Job done

interiordone4.jpg

Thanks very much for the pictures.

Your work looks AWESOME! :cool!:

When driving your Vette with clean lenses, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom