Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch going?and were should I buy one.

540vette

Corvette
77 with a blown 540 in it.99 convertible all stock
My clutch catchs about 1 1/2 inches from the top.I guess it's time for a new one.The slave and master are new.The car is all stock and has 64,000 miles on it.What are my clutch opions,where can I get one and what do I have to get.Can I replace just the clutch.Are the ones sold thru parts houses or local parts stores good enough or should I get a GM one.

What do you mean by 'catches' when it first catches, or when it fully engages? It is normal for 1.5 inches away from the top for the clutch to be engaged. C4's have self adjusting clutches, so it shouldn't change (and many times the clutch will go very suddenly) Can you feel it slipping? You may not need a new clutch at all.... I had over 100k on my '93 when I sold it, with the original clutch.

The clutch isn't slipping at all.It starts to engage at about 1 1/2 inchs and is fully engaged at the last inch of the pedals travel when you release it.(take your foot off pedal).The trans shifts fine and every once in a while I may have trouble getting it into first.And third to fourth you may get a little grind thats only if you are coming up with the clutch when you are shifting.(hard to explain it might be me doing it)I am also planning on selling it in the spring and don't want to have any trouble selling it because of the clutch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom