Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch - it's gone

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
Okay, here's the background story. In the past two days, I've noticed that it's been harder to shift. Like yesterday, for instance, it was rather "crunchy" to shift into another gear. Today, it got exponentially worse.

To the point that tonight I couldn't shift into or out of any gear. Wasn't sure what it was.

Then I noticed something. The clutch was grabbing about only 1 inch from the ground (different from the "usual" 3 - 4 inches it took to let off the clutch pedal to start grabbing a little bit). Then I realized that when the clutch was let all the way out, it was "mushy" and had no resistence for about 2 - 3, maybe 4 inches. So the range of my clutch has been minimized to just about the floor of her.

I first thought it might have been the transmission going. But then when I realized the clutch wasn't really totally disengaging I think THAT might have caused the "crunchy" shifting, and the lack of shifting later in the night. If the clutch doesn't fully disengage shifting can be lessened or halted (like I have), right?

The only other information that I have is this: I think there might have been some sort of fluid around the clutch pedal. It felt like an oil, it smelled like one. I'm GUESSING that the hydraulic booster (don't know too much about this newer '96 Corvette yet, but I'm pretty sure it's hydraulically assisted with the clutch) is shot, hence the leakage and the lack of clutch-disengagement.

What do you think? Does it sound like the hydraulics of the clutch? Is this a pretty hard problem to fix? Suggestions/advice?

Thank you.

TR,
First, do you know how long the clutch now has been in there...
Second, how are things at the Academy?

One of my first problems right now is this:

she's in a parking garage right now and I need to get her out of there because 1) they'll tow her and 2) I need to repair her.

How can I get her out of there? I'd prefer NOT to tow.

Stallion said:
One of my first problems right now is this:

she's in a parking garage right now and I need to get her out of there because 1) they'll tow her and 2) I need to repair her.

How can I get her out of there? I'd prefer NOT to tow.

If you must get it towed tell them to bring a flatbed that way there is no damage. Check the master cylinder for the clutch and fill it if low (It will be the smaller one to the outside) If you ran it too low you will have air in the lines and it will have to be bled just like your brakes; you may be able to get some clutch back after filling it by "Pumping" and be able to drive it home.
Good luck

Losing the clutch fluid is not uncommon. That is what the symptoms sound like. Do this:

1) Remove the ECM (computer) by loosening the two screws at the front, slide it out of its base and set aside - you do not have to disconnect wires.

2) Now you can see the clutch fluid master/reservoir. Unscrew and add brake fluid until it hits the LOWER of two lines molded in the plastic.

3) Reassemble.

That should give you enough to get out of the garage, if not more.

Bob

NC2Stay said:
Losing the clutch fluid is not uncommon. That is what the symptoms sound like. Do this:

1) Remove the ECM (computer) by loosening the two screws at the front, slide it out of its base and set aside - you do not have to disconnect wires.

2) Now you can see the clutch fluid master/reservoir. Unscrew and add brake fluid until it hits the LOWER of two lines molded in the plastic.

3) Reassemble.

That should give you enough to get out of the garage, if not more.

Bob

Okay, some new findings. I unscrewed the ECM to get at the resorvoir for the hydraulic clutch, and it wasn't really that low at all. I topped it off, but that probably wasn't necessary. As figured, that didn't help the "mushy" pedal, or the clutch problem, at all. Any idea what this means???

Not sure what to do now. I could always just change out the master cylinder like you said (I don't have ramps right now, so the slave is out of the question...????) and see if that cures the problem, but I won't be able to bleed the system in case there is any air in it.

If it's not the fluid, then I would highly suspect the master or slave.

When I got my '95, she leaked a bit of fluid and the previous owner just drove around with a can of brake fluid. He even used quick unclip cable ties to hold the ECM so he could get in there quickly:D

Anyhow, I decided I couldn't live like that, so I had the master and slave replaced. We didn't do the hose as it seemed to be OK. I have had no problems, except I had to top off the fluid recently after about 2 years. Lots of others have had hydraulic clutch problems on one sort or another - perhaps this is a Vette rite of passage.

Bob

OK TR, I have not been on the CAC much lately so I have several questions.
1. When did you get a C4??
2. Do you still have the '78?
3. You never answered 68Roadster's question, how are things going at the Academy?

BTW I sold my '75 this spring and am currently trying to sell the '90. I want a C5 (but will still want to get a C3 again when I can talk the wife into it!)

I recently changed my clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, slave and master. I did the work myself and from what your are describing, it sounds like the clutch hydraulic system is in need of work. After changing all the parts, all was fine for 2 wks, then the master cylinder failed. Part was guaranteed, I replaced it again and all has been well since. You didnt mention how many miles are on the car, but my 92 has about 90k on it. It wasnt raced or driven too hard and surpisingly it still had several thousand miles left to go on the friction disc before it really required replacing. Even the dual mass flywheel was well within specs, but you never know until you take them apart. According to experts, the clutch hydraulic system is the weak point in the system. To make matters even worse they have found that replacement slave cylinders were being shipped and sold with the seals installed backwards on the piston. (I checked mine out when it failed to bleed properly and such was the case with mine) I removed the seal reinstalled correctly, completed the job and a few weeks later thats when the master failed. Arrrgggghhh. I hate having to redo work. The symptons for a failed master are as you described. Its a good idea to replace both units at the same time. As according to zf doc. it is the number one reason the trannys croak. Driving with failing clutch hydraulics. The work is easy to accomplish yourself, just jack the car and place jackstands under it for safetys sake. Here is a link to some very good info on the clutch, and tranny http://www.zfdoc.com/
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom