Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

clutch noise

• Thread starter Thread starter nrangerZR-1
  • Start date Start date
N

nrangerZR-1

Good morning...

I just returned from about a 1000 mile trip - the first extended drive since i purchased my ZR-1 about 6 weeks ago. I averaged over 25 miles per gallon (amazing) and i had no problems with the car what so ever.

Upon starting the car the following morning, i noticed a loud screach or squeel when i depressed the clutch. This noise continues this morning. Have i lost the throw out bearing? There is no slippage when i run through the gears...no strange vibrations...just a repulsively loud scream when i engage the clutch.

Does this sound familiar? How about cost? I am wary of my local Chevy dealership...

Sometime this month i was planning on taking her to South Georgia Corvette for some work. But i doubt i can wait very long considering the sound she is making.

Any advice?

T.O. Bearing

Yup! That is a good diagnosis. Sounds like you have a dry T.O. bearing. Unfortunatly it will need to be replaced. I've seen a T.O. bearing let go before in a Ford truck. It seized up and made more noise and started to wear the fingers off the pressure plate. A clutch is a clutch, it does'nt matter what the vehicle is. The best fix is to do a complete clutch. It's the kind of a job you want to do only once! BELIEVE me! I just did a clutch on my "85". If it just started to make noise I don't think I'd panic but I'd look into getting it fixed sooner than later.

As the guys in my hot rod club say..."This is what hot rodd'in 's all about, you drive em and then you fix em".

nrangerZR-1 said:
Good morning...

I just returned from about a 1000 mile trip - the first extended drive since i purchased my ZR-1 about 6 weeks ago. I averaged over 25 miles per gallon (amazing) and i had no problems with the car what so ever.

Upon starting the car the following morning, i noticed a loud screach or squeel when i depressed the clutch. This noise continues this morning. Have i lost the throw out bearing? There is no slippage when i run through the gears...no strange vibrations...just a repulsively loud scream when i engage the clutch.

Does this sound familiar? How about cost? I am wary of my local Chevy dealership...

Sometime this month i was planning on taking her to South Georgia Corvette for some work. But i doubt i can wait very long considering the sound she is making.

Any advice?

Aaron can fix anything. The problem you are describing sounds like a pilot bushing. There is a fluted design that will correct the problem you are talking about. In my experience, they will all do this every once in a while. If it is cronic I would fix it. Ted

Hi guys, I would like to offer this coming from a non-mechanic. The throw out bearing only does work (has load on it) when the clutch is depressed. The pilot bushing is in a constant state of load in so far as if the motor is on the input shaft of the tranny has it's nose in the spinning flywheel via the pilot bushing. I only have worked with a C3's clutch system as I just got my 90 ZR-1 so I am not familiar with the unique (to me) system in a ZR-1. I understand that the dual-mass fly wheel can make noise. I read this at ZR1.netRegistry. I'm not sure I would make a correct guess at what your problem is with my lack of knowledge of a ZR-1's system. However leaving out the D/M flywheel a bad throwout bearing can "scream" under load and unloaded you would have to listen carefully because it could still make noise. I've never heard a bad pilot bushing, so I don't know what it would sound like for sure. For my $ any noise coming from the bell housing always calls for replacing everything based on the "while it's apart" theory. According to GM a D/M flywheel can't be re-surfaced. JMHO, Tom

I appreciate the feedback guys. I am going to schedule a visit to Aaron at SGC hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

The experience and knowledge available on this forum is remarkable. Thanks again.

I'll post the actual problem and fix once I can get the work done.

nyrangerZR-1, I would be very interested in anything SGC has to say about the noise. Thanks for any updates cause I might learn something from a professional opinion as to the cause. I know one thing after being under my Z this weekend I don't think I would attempt to do a clutch R & R in my garage. That car is tight under there! Tom

Demps said:
Aaron can fix anything. The problem you are describing sounds like a pilot bushing. There is a fluted design that will correct the problem you are talking about. In my experience, they will all do this every once in a while. If it is cronic I would fix it. Ted

I agree had a 90 did the same thing it was the pilot bushing..

Throwout bearing problem is usually noticed (as mentioned) when engaging and disengaging clutch. Test with clutch pedal engagement.
Pilot bushing problem is usually noticed when engine rpm is different than trans shaft. Put car in neutral and raise rpm to test pilot bushing.

ZR1 MK said:
Throwout bearing problem is usually noticed (as mentioned) when engaging and disengaging clutch. Test with clutch pedal engagement.
Pilot bushing problem is usually noticed when engine rpm is different than trans shaft. Put car in neutral and raise rpm to test pilot bushing.

Thanks Mike. The problem only occurs during clutch engagement and disengagement...and it is quite a sound. It sounds like I'm picking up a cat with a pair of pliers!!

ZR-1s, as do many cars built in recent years, use a constant-run type TO bearing so the belief that TO bearings aren't working, other than during clutch operation, is faulty.

Today's TO bearings will squeal or screech, at any time, howerver, they're more liable to make noise under load, ie: when pushing the clutch pedal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom