Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Replacement

S

servohead

For those who may know: I am aware of the rather short life of the clutches in these C5's. I just bought a '99 with 42k miles and I'm curious how difficult it is to replace the clutch? I am a volvo mechanic and would probably have a weekend-period of time to do it if my clutch does go bad... How much has to come apart do do this?

The fairly new CORVETTE MAGAZINE has a back issue with an article that specifically shows with picture illustrations what it entails to change the clutch on the C5 cars. It is a fair amount of disassembly of parts. I would recomend purchasing, the back issue with that article!

servohead said:
For those who may know: I am aware of the rather short life of the clutches in these C5's. I just bought a '99 with 42k miles and I'm curious how difficult it is to replace the clutch?
There is a thread in the tech section that has posts indicating that if you're not drag racing, the clutch ona C5 may well be good for 100k miles. Where did you get the info that the C5 clutch has a 'short life'?

:w

silver98 said:
There is a thread in the tech section that has posts indicating that if you're not drag racing, the clutch ona C5 may well be good for 100k miles. Where did you get the info that the C5 clutch has a 'short life'?

:w
5-7 hrs flate rate

I've heard of a couple burning out rather early on another corvette forum. One guy said his went at 27k! Of course he wasn't doing something right. I just got scared having just purchased a 99 with 42k miles... and as I worry alot I started to wonder how good the previous owners were at driving a stick. So well see, I don't plan on beating on my vette too much now that I know how quickly they can burn out. Hey and if it does burn out - you can bet I'll do my best to fix it!

Hey Servohead,

I'm as cautious as the next guy, maybe more, that's one of the reasons I asked this forum. These folks have such tremendous experience, and are so helpful, I started a recent thread. Like you, I was concerned about the clutch, must be since its the first stick in 20 years.
Take a read through this thread. If you already have, sorry :_rock :

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57852

Save the Wave:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom