Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Clutch & Shift Q's...

J

joes74

Ok, so this is my first manual tranny car...EVER!:L I am wondering if it's normal to have to push the clutch damn near through the floor board before it will engage? And in addition it is hard to shift, if feels like I have to push and pull real hard to get it into gear, especially 2nd. Just wondering if I should take it to a shop and have it lubed or something?
:beer

It may just need adjustment.How much free play do you have at the top of the pedal? You should have about 1-1 1/2 inches when you first step on the pedal. The adjustment screw is under the hood beside the steering column.

How much free play do you have? Meaning the travel in the pedal before it disengages the clutch.

It may just need adjustment.How much free play do you have at the top of the pedal? You should have about 1-1 1/2 inches when you first step on the pedal. The adjustment screw is under the hood beside the steering column.

Judgeing by the feel of it, it's more free play than that. I will take a look at that adjustment screw and see if that helps. :upthumbs

On the other note, what should I do about the shifter, is there a way I can adjust it to make it shift a bit...well...smoother?

If the clutch adjustment is off then the shifter will very possibly be stiff and difficult too. Get the clutch adjustment and then deal with the shifter. at the least, a shot of lube won't hurt it and it's possible that the bushings on the shift arms are worn too. Don't jump out and rip everything apart- go slow and work one thing at a time.

To clarify - pedal free travel is the distance from all the way up against the bumper to the point where you feel resistance when depressing the pedal by hand, NOT to the point where the clutch is disengaged. Get that set correctly and your shift issue will probably go away.

To clarify - pedal free travel is the distance from all the way up against the bumper to the point where you feel resistance when depressing the pedal by hand, NOT to the point where the clutch is disengaged. Get that set correctly and your shift issue will probably go away.

You are correct JohnZ, I should have said, engage the clutch from the top. I wonder how he made out?:beer Return springs on the mech. linkage could be an issue also.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom