Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Woes

Atticus

Well i think the car sat all last year without starting.I can't remember if i started it or not ;help Anyway my point being that it has set a long time,no longer than 2 years.
I just installed a radiator and thats why it had been sitting so long in the first place.
Now i go to start it,i push in the clutch and it lurches forward... Hmm,i put it in neutral and it starts up.Again i push in the clutch and attempt to slide in in gear,then GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINNNDDDDDDD :bash
Seems something is outta whack here.I'm thinking something is stuck,maybe clutch plate or ?clutch pedal feels alright.
Think i could spray some wd-40 or something up in there to work its magic or maybe someone could reccomend something else.I've never had a shifting clutch problem before and i drove it and p[arked it in it's current spot.
the car sits in my pole barn and there is a lot of condensation out there i have noticed
this is a 72 4 speed with 350 ,it only has 68k original miles,just sits alot...

I think your pressure plate and flywheel have rusted to the point that they rub your clutch plate no matter how far you push the pedal.
You may need to pull it apart and resurface the steel parts.
They don't like to sit that long without excersize.

Don't spray anything on the clutch/pp or you'll never go anywhere if you get it free. Wishu is right about it being locked together, my bike does that in the spring sometimes after sitting all winter. If you can get the car outside away from running into something you might get it free by starting it in gear with the clutch in and then hitting the brakes when it starts to move. Keep the clutch in while giving the throttle some quick bursts and it might just break free. Be nice if you had an airport runway to try it on too, plenty of open space!!

ok thanks for the assist.I'll refrain from hosing it down with wd-40 and just try and gently bump it loose..I have plenty of wide open space.If that doesn't work i guess i'll have to do some tear down although i was really trying to avoid this.

I had the same problem with my '78 after letting it sit for only 7 months while I was deployed. I solved it basically the same way Bill75 suggested. I rolled her to the end of my (fairly short) driveway, put the car in first, held the clutch in, started the car, and by the time I drove into the garage, it was free.

may also help

hi yes what Bill75 and Culprit have said is what you do , it happened to with a 74 alfa spider few years ago stored it for 4 years , but it took me about 3 or 4 gos before it came free, if after a couple of trys you still have know luck, do thi s jack the rear up just enough for wheels to clear the ground use jack stands, start the car fun it for approx 10 to 15 minutes to bring the temperature up to normal, this should heat up the clutch housing a little, then put it down of the stands and try it again,keep pushing the clutch in and out several times while you are driving it in your drive with this attempt, most times heat is the trick, regards wayne.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom