Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Clutch

1996 LT4 Topic

bapckemper

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green w/ Tan
Okay guys...here's the deal, had my LT 4 out Saturday and the clutch was soft and the friction point was very close to the floor. It drove fine and the pedal firmed up a bit as it warmed up but I am concerned. I have not been in touch with my mechanic but I will not be surprised if the clutch is due to be replaced...I have just shy of 104K on the car. Looked on several sites just to get a sense of pricing (about $420) for a clutch and pressure plate...up to $1000+ for a dual plate and you have to add a special flywheel to the mix. I don't race this car, I don't power shift, I'm just a older dude that flogs it on empty roads when the opportuntiy presents itself. So, what do you all say...go with the upgrade from stock or bite the bullet and spend way more money for the high tech new dual clutch system. Budgets are a consideration. And, as I said, I don't beat on my car...I just love driving it. Thanks...looking forward to seeing what you all think. Best, Bruce in St Pete

Since you say that the clutch was "soft" and then it firmed-up as the engine warmed, I'm going to suggest that the first thing you do is make sure the clutch hydraulics are working properly.

Flush and bleed the clutch then road test.

Post how the clutch works after service or repair.

Clutch Follow Up

You were right...the clutch master cylinder was leaking most of the fluid out...Merry Christmas too me, I get a master cylinder as my gift! My security system had also failed and the fob was defective...so I get that for Christmas as well. So, it could have been worse...thanks for the feed back. :cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom