Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code 24 81 Vette; what's it worth?

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Hi all;
Opinions please. I don't know how many of you are aware of the rigormorol I've gone through attempting to determine if I have THE ONLY CODE 24 81 Corvette. For those of you that are unaware, in 1981 there was only 1 corvette produced with the code 24 color - light metallic blue.

Anyway, I do believe I have the car. The car was stolen in its life (before I got it) and the plate (I forget the right term for this) is gone. The build sheet I retrieved from under the gas tank is unreadable. I haven't torn into the car yet to search out another build sheet but plan on doing that. I spent six months trying everything I could to trace its origins. The evidence I have so far is that this IS the one but nothing conclusive as of yet.

ANYHOO..... My question is this. IF this is that car, what is it worth? The car is 100% original, unrestored. It has 103,000 miles on it. I'll never sell it..... I'm just curious?

Hi Dawn,

What color interior do you have in your Vette?
My black book says it came wit interior options of Charcoal,Camel,Dark Blue, and Silver grey.
If they only made one, I can't understand why they don't have the one color interior that it came with.
Do you mean the VIN tag on the dashboard by the windshield is gone? If it was stolen, that's the first thing they chop off the car.

Pete.

I think she means the trim tag located in the door jam that states the exterior and interior colors.

IF it IS the one and only Code24...I imagine it would be worth a bit...but it needs to be verified beyond a shadow of a doubt. Especially since it is missing the trim tag.
Since you don't plan on selling it, the value is only good for insurance purposes, and you wouldn't know what someone would be out of their mind to pay to be certain they got the vehicle for themselves...
Heidi
Heidi

I just got to ask, how can you be sure (and be able to convince anyone else) that this is the only car built like this? With the trim tag gone and the tank sticker illegible, I think you've got a tough row to hoe.

If it can be proven, then I think any gain in value by being one-of-a-kind is offset by the lack of a trim tag.
JMHO.

Yea, the trim tag is missing and the vin tag was removed. The car was ultimately recovered without damage (thank goodness) and through the title and DMV a new vin tag was attached. I am the third owner of the car - the original owner was an air force guy who I suspect "ordered" this unique color out of California and then was restationed here in AZ. The person I bought it from owned the car the majority of its life (15 years of which 10 of these the car sat in his back yard). I've had the car now for three years.

I have the build sheet from the gas tank that has some of the information in tact, but of course, the area where the trim options are is unreadable. The interior is the Charcoal. The car is horribly faded right now to the point that you can see the original seems from the factory. There is no evidence anywhere of it being repainted. The person I bought it from stated he never repainted it.

Through all the research I have done so far, if I find another build sheet that will secure what I need. Believe me the whole ordeal I have gone through so far would make an interesting book!

I'm just curious what others here on the forum might think it is worth, considering that it is just these people that would be interested in owning it. :D

Vettehead Mikey said:
I just got to ask, how can you be sure (and be able to convince anyone else) that this is the only car built like this? With the trim tag gone and the tank sticker illegible, I think you've got a tough row to hoe.

If it can be proven, then I think any gain in value by being one-of-a-kind is offset by the lack of a trim tag.
JMHO.
There is a lot of other evidence aside from these things that can identify cars. It is too lengthy to go into them herein but believe me there are ways. Trim tags and vin tags can be removed and redone very easily these days - they are no guarantee of authenticity.

Dawn,
We emailed a few times about your car a couple of years ago, so I remember some of the background. Did you say that you verified the vin? It is stamped on the frame, engine, transmission, and differential. There is still a fair amount info that can be had if you find the vin. Scott81 had some photos of where the vin was stamped over on his "sharktank" web site. If it is the real McCoy...........and you can prove it, you have a very valuable car.

DDLS1 said:
Dawn,
We emailed a few times about your car a couple of years ago, so I remember some of the background. Did you say that you verified the vin? It is stamped on the frame, engine, transmission, and differential. There is still a fair amount info that can be had if you find the vin. Scott81 had some photos of where the vin was stamped over on his "sharktank" web site. If it is the real McCoy...........and you can prove it, you have a very valuable car.
The vin is valid but the problem is I am missing the connection of the vin to the trim code information - that is where the build sheet comes in.... one day I'll tear her down in attempts to find another build sheet.

So, what is "very valuable"?

chevyaddict said:
Trim tags and vin tags can be removed and redone very easily these days - they are no guarantee of authenticity.
Yes, they can be replaced but not undetectably. I attended at 'state of the nation' presentation by Al Grenning at this years NCRS Nationals in which he demontrated how easy it has become to identify a bogus trim tag. You might be interested in getting a copy of his book that elaborates on this subject.

I'm still a little curious as to how you can prove that this car is the one and only, other than demonstrating that there has never been any other colour paint on this car.

I wish you success in your venture. :beer

Hi chevyaddict,

Without documentation and with the car not being mint condition original shape, even with the "Trim Tag" and build sheet, I would think your car is a valuable piece of Corvette History, I'm not sure what the dollar value would be.

Most BIG $$$ cars are Original NCRS Zora Class cars, or they have been professionally restored, using the build sheet and NCRS judging guides.

I know from another 1981 owner that to document his car as one of 3 "SPEC" 1981's built, it took having his Trim Tag and Build Sheet to validate his car for recongition in Michael Antonick Black Book.

Without documentation, and with the car having been stolen I have to agree with
Vettehead Mikey said:

JMHO.

Bud

Chevyaddict, would it be possible with only 2 previous owners that you could contact the original dealer who sold the car, might be some paperwork there? just a thought... nice collection! Good Luck

drduckster said:
Chevyaddict, would it be possible with only 2 previous owners that you could contact the original dealer who sold the car, might be some paperwork there? just a thought... nice collection! Good Luck
Been there, done that. Come to find out the original dealership was sold but I was able to locate the original owner's family of the dealership.... just to find out the owner passed away three months prior. I figured it wasn't the right time to ask the bereaving family if they had old paperwork in storage.... that was almost two years ago though so perhaps I should try now!

I also tried to order the original window sticker through an outlet out of California but they were unable to retrieve it...... [big sigh] :(

I am assuming that this is a St Louis build car and not a Bowling Green car (in '81 they were built in both locations). If it is a Bowling Green car they have copies of the build sheet and window sticker available from the Corvette Museum.

tom...

Tom73 said:
I am assuming that this is a St Louis build car and not a Bowling Green car (in '81 they were built in both locations). If it is a Bowling Green car they have copies of the build sheet and window sticker available from the Corvette Museum.

tom...
You are correct.... St. Louis built car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom