Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coilovers on C4-92

• Thread starter Thread starter Micke
  • Start date Start date
M

Micke

Hi there
This winter i am exhcanging my stock rubber bushings for urethane. I am also going to lower my car. First i intended to use the lowering kit that´s common on the market.

Then i came to think about Coilovers!
If i´m correct, Coilovers are adjustable in height, aren´t they? The plan is to buy a kit that allows me to use my Adjustable Koni´s ( almost new). I have noticed that DRM has one.

So here is my conclusion: If i replace my stock springs with coilovers i can still lower the car a bit and get improved handling and comfort.
Am i right or have i gotten it all backwards? Is it worth the money and effort? I need you guys expert opinions!!

My car is a -92 coupe and i´m not using it on the track or in autocross....yet. I´ts just a daily driver during the summer period.

Regards Micke

:w

The coil over are justable.

You can get differnt rates on the spring and different heights of springs. (Taller the spring lower the car)

Mine are from DMR with Blistine shocks
I do have them on my 89 coupe. 89-96 are the same.

If I could do it again, I would have gone coil over all the way.

Hopefully i'll have a set on the car this year from either exotic muscle or do the QA1 coil over setup.

Anybody know what parts are needed to install the QA1 coil overs in a '85 Vette?

Thanks for your opinions guys!
Looks like i´m travelling the Coilover route!

Regards

Micke:s

Ok, something I've wondered about when considering a coil-over conversion- Is the shock mount in the front strong enough to carry the load? Is there some sort of reinforcing member included with the kits?

It seems as though the shock mount would flex when asked to carry the weight of the front end, in addition to the damping loads.

Barry

How to pick a system and height

After my Z-51 rear spring cracked and the car sagged, perhaps from the heat of the exhaust, I re-installed my spring from Dick Guldstrand, but am thinking about the coil overs.

I'd love to know which and why from those who have.

My car is 'down' about an inch.

C4 Coilovers

I have a 92 ZR1 that has DRM coilovers on it. The car is lowered at bit, but still clears the parking lot/shopping center tank traps. With 335/30-18s Pilot Sports at the rear, the measurement from fender lip to ground at the rear is 27 3/8 inch. With 385/35-18 tires on the front, the fender lip to ground measurement is 26 1/2 inches.

This car has had both Callaway coilovers and two sets of DRM coilovers on it (all courtesy of the first owner). He liked the DRM handling better, but of course, that is comparing a 1992 Callaway coilover design to a 1998 DRM design. He also had DRM change the spring rates to a milder level than the original DRM installation in 1999 or 2000. He said this greatly improved the cars handling on road courses and for city/highway cruising. I am very pleased with the car's handling on the street.

I think I can dig up the specs on the two DRM setups if you need them.

PS. No additional bracing on my car, either.

Thanks, 'gusta. We should do lunch sometime. LOL

I have some checking to do, then, as soon as my rear end is re-installed. The miler system sounds about right, based upon the comments here and the stock Z-51 ride. my Bilsteins were revalved to GS specs in the SD factory, which is better than stock or the aftermarket Bilsteins I tried.

I scrape less, but scrape, some.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom