Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does anyone have coilovers on their c4???

Bagoftrix

Corvette
1990 Bright red coupe
I went and installed the longer bolts on my leaf spring thinking it would give me the stance I am looking for and bring down the rear end...it did not:mad. So, next step I believe will be coilovers. I've looked around and think I've found some decent ones. Before I make the investment, is there any other way to get the car down another 3 inches in the rear and maybe a full inch in the front?

No matter what rear spring system you use, go down three more inches and the rear and you won't need to worry about springs. If you already have longer bolts, there may not be another three inches of ride travel.

Most of the slammed C4s I've come in contact with have owners who don't like the car's ride...because it's on the bump stops half the time. Might not be too bad on a show car, but anyhing you drive regularly on the street or on long trips, might ride pretty poor with the rear so low.

As for C4 coil overs, most people put them on as a handing upgrade. Coil overs can improve handling but only if the set-up is right as far as spring rate, ride height and damper valving. I lot of DIYs go to coil overs then get tripped-up on the set-up.

I have a C5 so my opinion might be irrelevant. Be that as it may, but I already have enough problems scraping the front air dam or the blower's duck bill. My wife has become an absolute expert at saying don't turn into that parking lot or she will scrape...Again..

I have already installed the extended rear bolts to drop the rear spring...not a lot of drop. So if I use longer bolts..? 12 inch rather than 11 inch? I'd like to get at least another inch lower in the rear.

No matter what rear spring system you use, go down three more inches and the rear and you won't need to worry about springs. If you already have longer bolts, there may not be another three inches of ride travel.

Most of the slammed C4s I've come in contact with have owners who don't like the car's ride...because it's on the bump stops half the time. Might not be too bad on a show car, but anyhing you drive regularly on the street or on long trips, might ride pretty poor with the rear so low.

As for C4 coil overs, most people put them on as a handing upgrade. Coil overs can improve handling but only if the set-up is right as far as spring rate, ride height and damper valving. I lot of DIYs go to coil overs then get tripped-up on the set-up.

I have heard of issues with the shock towers, running coil overs. The car was never designed to carry its whole weight where the shocks go. Has anyone came up with a way to strengthen this area?

I've seen a few c4s with coilovers, not saying it was working for the car, but no complaints from the owner concerning problems with the shock mounts. So, I got home from work and went out and dropped the 10 inch bolts from the leaf. I threw on some 12 inch bolts and put it back together and lost another inch...getting closer:happyanim: Thanks for that link. It was VERY helpful. Saved me 2 grand!:thumb

Ok...so I removed the rubber pads on the ends of the spring all the way to the spring. But when I set the car back down, it did nothing. The car didn't sit any lower. I don't know where to go now. I followed the instructions from that link without the results. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? What would cause the front end to stay at factory height after removing the rubber pads???:ugh

Ok...so I removed the rubber pads on the ends of the spring all the way to the spring. But when I set the car back down, it did nothing. The car didn't sit any lower. I don't know where to go now. I followed the instructions from that link without the results. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? What would cause the front end to stay at factory height after removing the rubber pads???:ugh

Did you roll the car back and forth or drive it? You have to cycle the suspension for it to settle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom