Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cold Air Intake

KEYDET94

Corvette
2002 Speedway White Convertible
Looking for suggestions for cold air intake. Car is completely stock now with the exception of Corsa Extreme exhaust and XO pipe installation

Looking for suggestions for cold air intake. Car is completely stock now with the exception of Corsa Extreme exhaust and XO pipe installation

I put the K & N FIPK on my '04 Vert with the same exhaust and was very pleased with the results. The FIPK is a very nicely put together kit, high quality!

:thumb

I just went through the same decision making process on what to use for my 02 Coupe. The most popular true cold air induction systems are the Veraram and the Calloway Honker. The Veraram is a Ram Air system that keeps more flowing the faster you go. It can add some horses when you are flying.......you won't see much on the dyno with it. The Calloway and others like it introduce fresh air into the engine while the others are using the air from the engine room where temps can get hot in warm weather commutes.

I have an issue with K&N filters......They do flow more but from what I have seen will let more fine dirt through.....that is my opinion from what I have researched. Paper filter is good for me if I change it at least once a year. There also can be issues with the MAF if you overoil the K&N.....which can happen.

What I did was punched some holes in my stock air cleaner set up and put some holes down low where the fog lights mount to bring more air into the engine room. Cheap but not glamorus but I have to take in consideration how I use my car and for me, I just wanted to let it breathe a little better and still filter the air. I have Corsas on my car also.....

I also put on a smooth coupler and cleaned the MAF and TB.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDctMjAxMjAxMTAtMTIwMy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDUtMjAxMjAxMTAtMTAzNS5qcGc.jpg

Yeah I know, pretty crude drilling holes in a perfectly good Corvette.........I do plan on getting some of the Z06 type screen covers.......but it does move the air in.........those are my thoughts anyway............:D

I use a Donaldson bat wing filter with a carbon fiber bridge and smooth coupler. It's the same set up I have used since 1998. I don't use bottom breathers, because I have seen hydro locked motors with my own eyes. I have drilled holes as the post above, and covered with Z06 screens. That lets in some cool air without worrying about puddles. There are lots of option for both intake and exhaust. At the end of the day, it's about what you think is cool.

I also have the Donaldson Blackwing Intake, easy to install and very easy to maintain. It performs well and I have not had any issues.

Good luck,

PaulV:thumb

cold air intake

first thing i put on my 00 c-5 was a slp donaldson air filter, car already had CORSA exhaust, then carbon fiber bridge smooth bellows .. made a big hp jump ,,later Z-06 screens.. Z-06 screens can be installed by just removing front spoiler sections !!!!:happyanim: :w :v

Have you thought of installing the VARARAM system? I have it on my 03 and have never looked back. Good top end performance and able to cruise without no power issues.

I think this test has been around awhile but you may find the conclusions interesting............

Air Filtration Test

I thought the question was concerning an aftermarket air system? The stock setup also uses a paper filter which does not filter enough according to the "Air Filtration Test" so the point is?? I suppose there is a fine line between deviating from stock or installing a system to breathe? There other point is, "where would the aftermarket guys be if the Corvette was shipped from Bowling Green with the PERFECT motor, peaked out so that no mods could be added"? Non existent I presume. I still prefer a little dirt with much flow but perhaps I am one of the few.:cool!:

On cold air systems the point is they do work better....Veraram being a true ram air system. Cooler air is a good thing, rammed cool air is better the more you push it.

I was just adding some things on filtration that I have picked up here and there. The foam type filters flow more but let more through and without oil they are nothing. To much oil and they can be a problem also especially if you have a MAF.

I took from the filtration study that the OEM paper filters do filter better and don't inhibit flow as much a I had thought. My idea was to move more outside air into the engine room and open up the stock air box to let more of that cool air in.

Again a lot depends on how you use your car, mine is a touring car with occasional runs up to 130 mph......paper makes sense for me but maybe not for those who use their cars in competition. Then there is the factor that does override all the others and that is what you think looks cool on your car.....:D

Your BEST bet would be to get a TRUE cold air system. They provide the BEST HP/TQ increase and are the best foundation for future performance mods. I decided on VARARAM and it works fantastic. Its supporting 450RWHP without any issues.

Your NOT going to see GOBs of new HP. You may see 10-12 on a good day with JUST a cold air intake.

Before you install your new cold air intake, find someone that can data log your engine. Anybody that has HP Tuners OR EFI Live can do it for you. Some scanners have live sensor monitoring capability and they can show you O2 sensor data and STFT & LTFT

Examine the Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFTs) and see where they are averaging. They "SHOULD" be near ZERO or slightly negative. When you install that new cold air intake, re-examine them. If there a lot more positive, you can benefit from tuning. If you add your new cold air intake and get a decent tune, you will see more HP/TQ and better fuel economy.

Excessively Positive LTFT will cause your Wide Open Throttle Power Enrichment (PE) AFRs to be excessively rich and that results in a power LOSS at WOT.

BC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom