Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Cold starting problem

E

ehughes

I have a '72 that's just a bear to get started when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed up it runs great. I can shut it off and as long as I don't let it sit for too long it will fire right up.

It's a base 350/4-speed car with an offenhauser dual port manifold, edelbrock #1406 600 CFM carb and hooker side exhaust. The engine was supposedly rebuilt about 20k miles ago but no documentation to confirm that.

I looks as though the electric choke is working OK. At least it's closed when the engine is cold, I assume it opens up as the engine warms up or the car probably wouldn't run as well as it does when it's warm.

The points have been replaced with an Accel Points Eliminator unit in the stock distributor and there's an MSD 6A unit on the car and brand new MSD spark plug wires.

I've had a lot of 350's in my time and have never experienced anything like what this car is doing. WHen you try to start it cold it just coughs and sputters and maybe will eventually get running but even then it runs very rough until it warms up. I pulled the plugs and they all look pretty decent in terms of color, maybe a little rich but not bad, and compression is good on all cylinders.

This is the only problem with the engine. It doesn't use oil, oil pressure is good, it doesn't overheat or leak any fluids. It is kinda loud but I can put new mufflers in the side pipes (if I can get the damn tubes off!) to fix that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

:welcome

First make sure that your choke is closing completely. Shouldn't be any gap. Second make sure that your accelerator pump is giving a good shot after the engine has set overnite. Either of hose will seriously affect cold starting. Once it starts, make sure the vacuum pull-off is set correctly and not opening the choke too much.

yeah start with the choke... have you checked the timing and the settings on that msd?

what happens if you disconnect the choke and start it the old fashioned way and pump it then fire it and hold the gas down...does it still struggle to ignite?

i would look at the choke then move through the rest of the carb..

how does it idle once it is warm?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom