Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Collapse at National Corvette Museum sends cars into sinkhole

Are Sink Holes Common in KY?

Are sink holes common in that part of the country?
That hole is kinda big. Was the ground geologically sound at the time of construction?
What moves that amount of earth from under a building?

Are the other buildings in danger?
Does this kind of thing happen a lot in KY? I have heard of it in Central FL. ...

In-freaking-credible... :ugh

My first impulse was to wonder if this was an early April Fool's joke...

Mac

Me too - I thought it was a joke. A friend of mine here at work sent me the link while I was out for lunch. I immediately came here (CAC) to verify.

Me too - I thought it was a joke. A friend of mine here at work sent me the link while I was out for lunch. I immediately came here (CAC) to verify.

Same here! When I got the email from CAC I thought it might be hacking scam. I went to CAC website to verify. Very sad.

It was on the national news at 7 pm here in the Netherlands.

My wife called me to watch the TV, and was disappointed I already knew from the Email and this site.
Sort of fortunate that most were relatively new cars, except the '62 of course.
Cor

Wow, what a shame. Can you imagine if this happened during their "5 year" get together?:ugh

Boy, You never know how sharp a dogs teeth are till you get bit. . .

I was sick when I thought about those beauties sitting down in that hole. Sure hope they can be pulled back up with out too much damage. And if so, maybe some of the independent Corvette restoration shops would be willing to put them back as they were before the bottom fell out. I threw up when I first heard about this, it was just on the local news @ noon. And now seeing the pictures, I think I'm going to throw up again. . . :ugh

everyone is acting as if they lost a humen life, I know they were corvettes, BUT THEY ARE JUST FRICKIN CARS,

everyone is acting as if they lost a humen life, I know they were corvettes, BUT THEY ARE JUST FRICKIN CARS,

Cars can hold a very important place in a person's life. While I agree that they are "just cars", we are on here because we all have a love of Corvettes and we hate to see them damaged like this.

Maybe the CORVETTE MUSEUM should pay more attention to collecting and caring for historical Corvettes and not worry so much about motorsports park across the Interstate. Just a thought.

How long was it undermined ?

I can't help but wonder how long the hole was there before the floor gave away. I don't think this just happened,look at the size of the footings , they could have supported a lot of weight for awhile.

The I-65 corridor between Bowling Green and Louisville has lots of caves in the area- Mammoth Cave, Diamond Cave and others.

So, it is very possible there was a cave system deep underneath the museum and it gave way.

Are sink holes common in that part of the country?
That hole is kinda big. Was the ground geologically sound at the time of construction?
What moves that amount of earth from under a building?

Are the other buildings in danger?
Does this kind of thing happen a lot in KY? I have heard of it in Central FL. ...

It is very common in Kentucky especially in the Bowling Green area. Two other sink holes opened up today as well one near Cave Mill road and another between the soccer fields off Lovers Lane. :ugh

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the entire museum is toast.

What insurance company would be willing to cover that place now?

With the technology they have now it can be determined if any other or all of the museums ground it is occupying is compomised.

To think of the vehicles that were damaged as "just cars" is like thinking of a church as just a building or as the American Flag as just a banner. Those Corvettes represent what most of us here at CAC know as symbols of our devotion to our own cars. These are milestones in the automotive industry. Works of art. Tributes to design and ingenuity.

It is sad to think that this incident happened in the place that was built to protect and preserve these cars for future generation to admire.

Now, with our help and support, the rebuilding will begin and this episode will become another part of Corvette history.

To think of the vehicles that were damaged as "just cars" is like thinking of a church as just a building or as the American Flag as just a banner. Those Corvettes represent what most of us here at CAC know as symbols of our devotion to our own cars. These are milestones in the automotive industry. Works of art. Tributes to design and ingenuity.

It is sad to think that this incident happened in the place that was built to protect and preserve these cars for future generation to admire.

Now, with our help and support, the rebuilding will begin and this episode will become another part of Corvette history.

+1 Well Said :thumb

My Ruby lost one of her sisters yesterday, hope she can be repaired.

It looks like the sink hole was there and then the floor collapsed later. :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom